𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄

CHAPTER NINE | AFTER SCHOOL SPECIAL

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

AFTER BEING AWAY FOR A FEW DAYS, RILEY NEVER THOUGHT SHE WOULD MISS THE EMBRACE OF MYSTIC FALLS. The minute that Stefan learned of Riley's presence back in the small town, he arranged they meet at the Grill to discuss what had happened whilst the witch had been out of town. It turned out that whilst Riley was gone, Stefan and Elena had broken up officially, but there was one thing that broke her— Damon and Elena had slept together.

"I'm sorry that I had to be the one to tell you that, Riley. Caroline was going to but I said that it would probably be better coming from me." The Salvatore placed his hand comfortingly on top of Riley's whilst she stared blankly into space.

"Is it bad that I'm really not surprised? Obviously, I'm hurt. But, I saw this coming eventually. But, I should've come back for you. You didn't see any of this happening." Riley couldn't help but feel guilty for leaving Stefan behind to deal with his breakup.

"You said you needed space, and I wanted to give you that. Regardless of what's going on in my life, I shouldn't ruin yours, too." He sighed out in defeat as he checked his texts. "Oh, look, another message from Caroline."

"You know, if you don't respond she will keep calling you. And then, she'll have her mom send out a search party." Riley mocked when she watched her best friend press his phone against his ear.

"Hey, you just missed the mandatory all-school assembly." Caroline pointedly spoke, whilst Riley scoffed at her tone of voice.

"Well, that's because I'm at a mandatory drinking party." Stefan shrugged sarcastically when he clinked his glass with Riley's and took a sip.

"Seriously?! You decide to go on a ripper-bender now?"

"My brother slept with Elena. Kind of puts a little bit of a damper on things. Besides, Riley's here to make sure nothing bad happens." The Salvatore nodded in the direction of his best friend before he took another sip of his drink.

"That I am." Riley nodded in response as she threw another chip into her mouth from their shared plate while Stefan turned his phone to loudspeaker. "We both needed a drink. Don't worry, Care, he's fine."

"Okay, first of all, you two are not supposed to know that. And, second of all, Tyler is already spiraling and he gets priority."

"His mother just died, what do you expect?" As the words fell from Stefan's lips, Riley's eyes immediately widened in confusion. That was something he had forgotten to mention.

The Forbes vampire exhaled deeply. "I'm his girlfriend. I expect him to talk to me. Instead he's all angry, and it doesn't help that everyone keeps referring to his mother's death as an accident, which is just a really polite way of saying that she was drunk."