1 - Wayne

Hey guys! Hope you didn't forget about me because now I'm back. I've been struggling a lot with writer's block and figured I'd just try something kinda new. I'm gonna start posting Oneshots here, I don't know how regularly though. Thanks for reading and have fun.

.....................................................................

I'm in the middle of playing around with my guitar as a beam of sunlight makes it's way through the window of the bus and shines onto my face. I stop fidgeting to take a look at the clock standing on the table next to me. 6 am, I sigh. Another night I spent playing my guitar instead of sleeping, thank you very much insomnia it's really nice to spend so many nights with you.

Sarcasm aside, sometimes I wish I could sleep just as every other person does, but I guess that's just not possible. It's already my second night in a row I spend without sleep and even though I'm kinda used to it, I don't want to!

Sure, some great solos and guitar riffs of our songs came to life during one of those long long nights I spent alone, playing and trying not to wake the others. Still, I'm quite sure that would also be possible during the day because, to be honest, I do feel kind of lonely sometimes.

We played the last show at a festival last night and today we have another gig and to have no sleep is hard even for someone like me. The others probably won't be wake up all too soon, because we're at the part of the tour where everything just gets more exhausting. The days get longer and the shows feel like they suck out all the energy that's left inside of you. So yes, we need our sleep, but that didn't convince my brain yet.

I sigh and keep playing although my fingers already hurt a little bit and I have to make it through soundcheck and our show later on. And if I continue to have that much bad luck, I'll have to survive another night, but hey, who cares? It's not like I haven't done that already.

Suddenly the door opens and makes me jump. I got so lost in my thoughts once again, I forgot everything around me and I guess I also stopped playing, which also happens quite often during such nights.

I look up to find a sleepy Dan closing the door behind his back and sit down on the sofa in front of me. His hair is quite messy and he still rubs the sleep out of his eyes as he says: "Can you play that again? Please," and gives me a pleading look.

I smile and start over again, I didn't pay attention to what I played, so I guess it's a little bit different, but Dan doesn't seem to care.

With closed eyes and a smile forming on his face, he leans back and listens. Something that always brightens my day. He just listens and seems so happy and therefore I'm happy. I finish playing and Dan opens his eyes again.

"I like that! I think we should put into our new album."

I let out a short laugh. "You always say that when you listen to me, but I was just doodling. Besides, we already have like three solos on our next record..."

He grins and shrugs his shoulders: "Then let's make it four, we can never have enough Wayne on our album."

I shake my head and laugh, then I ask: "Why are you up anyways? We still have a four-hour drive ahead of us and you look like you could use some more sleep."

He acts offended: "Whaaat? I look like I didn't sleep enough??? You mean I don't look good? And I always fought you're the nice guy in the band," he shakes his head. "Telling me that I look tired. And I thought you're my friend Wayne." Then he playfully wipes a tear away.

"Oh shut up you little dork," I say and laugh. "For real though, aren't you tired anymore? You got like five hours of sleep..."

"And you got zero, so I win this one!" He answers and shortly after adds: "Nah, I am still tired, but needed a glass of water and when I walked past this room I heard you playing so I decided to keep you some company." He shrugs it off like it's nothing, but it means the world to me.

"And that's why we are best friends," I state and pad on the spot at my right side, soon after Dan settles down next to me, stifling a yawn and rubbing his tired eyes.

"I have a deal, I play some more riffs and you try to catch some sleep alright bud?"

He nods and yawns again. "Sounds like a plan."

As I take a quick glance at him just a few minutes later, he is already sound asleep again. He may not be awake, but it feels damn good to have him at my side, less lonely and maybe he'll convince me to play another solo for the new record.

But for now, I'm happy having my best friend lying next to me and even though he is asleep, I feel like he can still hear me, as a smile is played around his lips again. In your darkest moments, it's your family who can bring happiness back to you. Something he has done so often, but also the other way around.

And often happiness lies in small things, like your best friend looking at you as if you're his superhero and your superpower is playing the guitar. Yes, it may sound corny, but that's enough to make me happy.

And with that thought, I finally fall asleep, right next to my best friend. Happy.