Prologue

Prologue

I’m not supposed to get angry. 

My mother says that, if I do, I could hurt someone, and so I should always try to breathe deep and do something or other else if ever I feel my blood start to boil through my veins. 

Like now. 

I try and obey her. Try and stop my hands from trembling by digging my nails deep into my palms. But it’s no use. I’ve never been good at controlling my emotions. And as the cold realisation dawns upon me, that Jed’s not joking, I can feel my whole body burn like summer as it tenses and pulses and knots in turns. He’s really going to go off and fight for Elite, isn’t he? Leaving me alone.

All alone. This has got to be some sort of joke.

We stand together on the dusty path that leads towards the wheat fields, just outside of town. He’s wringing his hands and rubbing at his fingers, while I try desperately to tear my loose blonde hair away from my face. The wind’s picked up, blowing both sand and strands into my damp eyes. A storm’s brewing. I can feel it.

Jed suddenly grabs one of my throbbing palms in his own, clasping it tight. “But maybe you can come with me Tieve?” he says with pleading brown eyes. “You’re quicker than anyone I know, strong too, and even though you’re only twelve, I’m sure General Caleb would - ” I snatch my limb back before he can continue.

“Why do you think I’d want anything to do with Elite?” I sneer at him with narrow eyes. “You might like the idea of turning traitor, but I know where my loyalties lie.” 

Traitor. The word stings at my mouth before I’ve even said it. But that’s what Jed will be if he joins Elite. A traitor to the Empiric State. A traitor to his own country…

We recently learnt all about Elite and its leader in school. Some man who calls himself Caleb. He actively opposes the Emperor’s civilisation mission in the Warren, starting riots and strengthening his army’s numbers, all so he can start a war between the two nations to feed his own ambition. And yet Jed wants to go to the Warren and join him? Why? Just why? 

I don’t have to wait too long for my answer.

“I’m doing this for you,” he answers my scowl, reaching back for the hand I’m still cradling. I don’t let him have it though and his soft expression darkens quickly. “We can’t live under the Emperor’s oppressive rule our entire lives.”

“What oppressive rule, Jed?” I shout as loud and as bitterly as I can. “When has Emperor Litek ever bothered us here in Aaquna? Don’t we live comfortably in the Empiric State?”

“Yes but - ” he starts. I cut him off before he can finish.

“And peacefully?”

“Well we do but - ”

“Then what oppressive rule are you fighting against exactly?” 

He beats his fist against his palm suddenly, all red-faced and stony-eyed. “You don’t understand. How could you? You’re too much of a child to realise what really goes on outside of the State.”

“A child?” I spit, angering even more under the insult. “Then please, teach me oh wise Jed. Enlighten me to the Emperor’s evil ways that make your life such a hardship.”

“Do you know how they live in the Warren?” he retorts.

“As much as you do. All the people over there are savage. It’s a mercy the Emperor even acknowledges their existence, let alone tries to civilise them.”