Chapter 1

"Are you really just going to leave and forget about me?" Varian pulled a sour expression at the person who was standing a few feet away, the same person who seemed to have not a care in the world. Rolling his eyes, he let out a huff of frustration before turning on his heel and walking down the hall.

"Why should I care?" Varian thought out loud before coming to a stop "it's not like they do.." glaring back with uncertainty at the people he once considered friends all talking as if they hadn't heard him, like nothing had happened two months back. Turning to face forward varian crossed his arms in thought, 'has it been two months?' Varian was confused at this thought but quickly shrugged it off.

Continuing down the hall, varian passed a few staff who worked in the castle, who in return payed him no attention as they carried out their daily chores. Making his way through the castle, Varian soon found himself in the library, he would always end up here as it was one of the many rooms that is always almost empty; that and because he could read as much books as he wanted to pass time.

It was always like this, it's become a routine of sorts. The castle library was the one place he could be without accidentally making a staff member faint at the sight of a floating object, hardly anyone came in here and if they did it was mostly Queen Arianna getting a new book or taking one back. To say this new life wasn't lonely let alone boring would be the biggest lie Varian would say to himself, so his daily routine would be to either read or follow the people in the castle and talk to them, act as if they are listening when they aren't.

His life now was something Varian could not understand at first, he didn't know why he was in such a state and he didn't know why he was still around. He didn't know until a few days after he had awoken, when he overheard a conversation between the princess and his once idol, Flynn rider late at night.

~~flashback~~

It wasn't strange to be making rounds around the castle halls for varian, it gave him some sense on normality, he does wish he could leave the castle but as he had discovered he was confined to this place and he had no idea why.

Letting out a soft sigh, he ran fingers through his hair, it's only been four days since he woke up in this state. Varian frowned as he recalled the day he woke up like this, not being able to be seen let alone heard, the feeling of fear and confusion sinking into him as he realised he was alone, no one could help him and he didn't know what to do.

Shaking his head from the memory, varian turned the corner into another hall, but came to an abrupt stop as he saw Rapunzel and Eugene pass by. Curious, varian floated a bit more down into the hall and got close enough to hear Eugene hush comforting words to Rapunzel as she mumbled out words too quiet for varian to hear.

Varian floated after them and came into pace with their steps and noticed Rapunzel had red puffy eyes with tears staining her cheeks. Dumbfounded at what could make the princess cry like this, he looked toward Eugene who had a sullen expression as he hushed his lover with soothing words of "it's okay, it's not your fault Rapunzel".

Now varian was intrigued at what had happened, this was only the second time he has seen these two this week, the first time they were quiet but now they looked tired. "It's all my fault Eugene, he would still be alive if I didn't touch those rocks, I shouldn't have snuck out with Cassandra that night!" This made varian perk up 'still be alive, rocks?' He frowned as a puzzled expression crossed his face. "Blondie, no one could have seen this coming. It was an accident" Eugene's eyes glinted as tears came into his eyes, pulling Rapunzel closer to his side.

Rapunzel pulled away and stood in front of Eugene an expression of heartbreak on her face "Eugene, i can't do this. I should have been there for varian, he needed me and then he turned into someone I didn't even know..he would still be alive if I just helped him more, maybe if I kept trying he-" Rapunzel got cut off by a sob and covered her eyes and more tears began to spill. Eugene let out a saddened sigh before walking up to her and wrapping his arms securely around the shaking and sobbing form of his girlfriend, who quickly returned the hug and cried into his chest.

After settling down a bit with a few hiccups, Rapunzel stepped away and wiped at her eyes before looking up at her boyfriend "I'm sorry Eugene" and glanced over toward the window "I just, I can't get it out of my head..th-there was so much blood". Eugene looked to where she staring with a grim expression as he recalled the memory but quickly shook it off. Speaking with a worried and saddened tone, Eugene held his hand out to Rapunzel "Do you want to go outside for some air?". Rapunzel nodded slowly and took his hand in hers, the two of them walked down the darkened halls, leaving behind a teary varian who was no longer floating but instead standing still on the floor watching them leave, with the bright moonlight shining down onto him.