𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍

CHAPTER THIRTEEN | DOWN THE RABBIT HOLE

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

THEIR SITUATION HAD GONE FROM BAD, TO WORSE. After Riley and Damon's conversation had ended, the Salvatore told her that he was going for a walk to clear his head, though he never returned. It also just so happened that when Stefan, Rebekah and Elena returned to camp after looking for Jeremy, Shane and Bonnie were gone, too.

"Tell me you're not serious." Caroline exasperatedly sighed down the phone after Riley filled the blonde in on their current situation.

"Believe me, I wish this was a joke. When everyone got back, Shane had disappeared. Bonnie took off after she did some sort of strange, creepy locator spell to find Jeremy." Riley paced up and down at the seafront whilst she spoke to Caroline. "He needs Bonnie and Jeremy to find the cure, so the chances that they're both with him is incredibly high."

"Well, where's Damon in all of this?"

"I wish I knew. We had a chat and then he said he was going for a walk. But, we came back to the beach and there was signs of a struggle."

"Meaning what?" The Forbes vampire trailed off, almost as if she were afraid to know the answer."Riley, do you think Shane took him?"

"I don't think so. I mean, Shane's human there's no way he could've taken Damon on his own. He must have had help." Riley paced with her eyes fixed on the floor as she thought through her theories.

"God. I'm so sorry. I wish I was there to help."

"Well, maybe there's something you can do from home." Elena's voice boomed as she wandered over toward Riley, speaking toward the strawberry-blonde's phone.

"Anything, tell me." Caroline eagerly asked. It was clear the blonde was desperate to help any way she could, despite being thousands of miles away.

"Shane's looking for the cure and we think it's possible to find him if we use the pictures of Jeremy's tattoo to translate the map—" Riley began to explain but was immediately interrupted by the impatient blonde on the other end of the line.

"—Unless you get the Hunter's sword from Klaus."

"Exactly." Elena nodded with a smile.

"He'll never give up the sword." Rebekah remarked sternly with a roll of her eyes. She knew what her brother was like and there was no way that he would give the sword up.

"Yeah, but if anyone's gonna get him to give it up, It's Caroline." Stefan argued back.

"He will never give up the sword, not even for Caroline. He's terrified we'll use the cure against him to make him mortal, even if he wasn't, he wouldn't want any of us to derive a moments worth of happiness from being human."