How To Avoid Bad Luck

A U T H O R ' S N O T E

The world has two faces. It showcases one side, in which a clover bathes in golden sunlight. Where sweet dreams are caught between the fibers of a feathery net. How throwing coins down a wishing well casts fortunes upon your endeavors. When every star aligns so nothing could ever go awry. The world wants you to see that side, the side which gives so much and takes so little.

It hides the other side, where a black cat crouches, with eyes sharper than a knife edge. In which a mirror shard slices your skin and lets your prosperity bleed out. When sweet dreams are replaced with nightmares. How the Devil wraps his bony fingers around your shoulder when salt is spilled. When every star disappears from the sky and something is very wrong. The world wants to hide that side, the jigsaw piece which never fits, the side who takes everything and runs.

Never forget that the world has two faces. It deceives, changes without warning, and acts on its own terms. To truly understand it, you must tailor yourself to suit the world, rather than wait for the world to tailor itself to you.

■ □ ■ □ ■ □ ■ □

I N F O R M A T I O N

1. Oh man, this story has been a long time coming. I waited three years to write this, no joke. The only reason I never did earlier was because you guys seemed to enjoy my teen fiction stories more, but I believe the time is now ripe for a change of genre. Plus, I haven't completed an actual novel for almost four years and I need to fix that.

2. Although this story is categorized under Fantasy, it also contains elements of romance, action, adventure, and mystery. I would personally classify it as a Young Adult Fantasy. It doesn't fit under mainstream fantasy with elves and witches and warlocks of the sort, but it does certainly have fantastical elements, even though it revolves around ordinary young adults.

3. I'm a super busy university student, so I kindly ask you not to pester me for updates. I don't have an updating schedule this time, but I do hope that I can get this story finished by the end of 2019 (at the very least).

■ □ ■ □ ■ □ ■ □

D E T A I L S

Status: Ongoing (Jun 2018 –)

Trailer: None

Cover: evethespy

■ □ ■ □ ■ □ ■ □

S Y N O P S I S

"Zoey." His voice sent a jolt of electricity down my spine, which heightened my awareness that only a thin column of dust separated our bodies. "Do you believe in superstitions?"

I shifted uncomfortably against the splintered wall of the storage closet he had shoved me into seconds earlier. "Those are folk tales, right? Just myths to scare people off."

"Not here." Every word that left his mouth was clipped, and the frustration bubbling beneath his forced calm was almost tangible. "Not now. Omens have power here, and you've been seeing far too many of them. So, forget everything you knew before. This town has a secret, and both you and I are targets."

"Good to know," I tried to quip, but only a hoarse whisper issued from my lips. My heart slammed against my ribcage as I gazed into his dark eyes, searching for any hint of a ruse. "So, what are we supposed to do about it?"

"We need to find out how this town really operates. For us to stand a chance, you need to know what we're up against. So, I'm going to teach you," his whisper broke through the dust column, and I felt a sudden sense of foreboding. "How to avoid bad luck."

© 2018 evethespy. All Rights Reserved.