a thousand years

Scarlet Archer's POV

"The captain and the crew were all under his orders."

Exhale. "Luke and AJ overheard a conversation, they were kept away from the rest, it's the only reason they're alive."

Inh-

Let it out.

Clumps of my heart, water of my tears.

That's what I let out.

Sam's not gonna be happy. "A-"

"Don't-...."

I push myself up, stumbling towards the stiles, the floor not screaming under his weight. "Don't call me that."

"Where are you going?"

Where?

I wanna say to fucking hell but I'm already there.

I've been there for a while now.

I just realized it.

Where I'm going?

I guess we'll both find out soon enough.

I need five minutes in water, five minutes under water. I need to let out this pressure in my chest, scream until my lungs beg me to stop, scream until the pain in my throat beats the pain in my heart.

They all lied to me.

Repeatedly.

"I hope you hear this," I tell the stars above me, the night wearing a spring-coat."I hope you're fucking hearing this, River! I hope you're happy six feet under, I hope you're happy knowing you finally got to escape all of this!"

I sit down, stinging heat burning up my eyes while the wet grass pokes my legs. Each sob hits my ribs like a drummer, sounding like dry coughing and butchered, suffocated oxygen.

Play me, little drummer.

Rot in hell River.

Rot in hell alone for fucking ever.

Please stop. "I'm sorry," I whisper, sucking in a breath.

It wasn't his fault.

It was but it was wasn't.

They made it his fault.

But he took on uncountable opportunities to live up to his heavy, dark reputation.

What choice did he have?

Telling me.

That wasn't one of his choices.

He could've made it one.

No, Arlet...

"River...," I sigh, closing my eyes, lowering my dizzy head to the grass, breathing in the frozen air, meditating on the way it tattoos the the memory of tonight onto my skin, hoping I'll remember it even when I open my eyes. When I finally do, I see more stars floating in the fraction of the dark I'm staring at, as if someone thoughtfully picked out every single one from a stickers sheet and stuck them to the sky. "Fuck you."