Chapter I

Waking up to sunlight in her face, the 13 year-old groggily sat up on her bed, yawning and stretching her arms behind her head. She soon opened her eyes, looking around her room and adjusting to the light. She stared at her desk for a while, crowded with random gadgets and things of the sort that she really didn't need. The desk was organized with boxes and cups holding various things, there were just a lot crowding the small, old desk. She looked at her dresser, which had two of the four drawers open, with socks and shirts hanging out either of them, and the full laundry basket beside it. She shivered when she felt a cold breeze come in through her window, causing the white, lacy curtains that covered them to fly around mad. She sighed and flopped back onto her bed, pulling the blanket over her bare chest. She was most comfortable sleeping without a shirt on, and it's not like she really had anything to show off anyway. She closed her eyes and continued to think about her room, the exact one she was in, with it's creaky and old wooden floor boards, and mustard-colored walls. She liked the feel of the tiny room, though it did get crowded at times. She thought about her full and falling-apart book shelf that was filled with various novels and text books. She took a deep breath, feeling herself drift back into sleep as she could smell the homey scent of a wood stove from the dining room and the pine from the back yard that came in through her window.

"Anya!" A booming voice startled her awake. She didn't even take a moment to think about how long she was asleep again, but rather quickly stood up and put a loose, white tee on.

"Coming, coming!" She replied, stumbling towards her bedroom door and opening it, the creaking sound from the door piercing her already-ringing ears. She was met by her father at her door, looking down at her and smiling.

"Apologies for waking you up so soon, dear." The man, dressed formally, explained genuinely. "You know what today is." He continued, his tone saddening.

Anya felt her heart sink. Even if it were only a week, her parents were going to leave on a business trip. "Oh, right." She mumbled. "Where's Mama?"

"Upstairs. She's still getting things ready." He explained. Anya nodded, not giving a response. Her father grinned and ruffled her hair jokingly, "Hey, kid. It's only for a week. You have Nanny living only down the street, too."

Anya rolled her eyes at the word "Nanny". It was just a fancy name she would call her grandmother, even though she thought it sounded dumb. "Yeah. I know. I'm just going to miss you. You know I suck at making waffles, you old man." She joked, trying to lighten the mood.

Her father chuckled, nodding, "You'll make do. I promise."

"Everything's packed." A feminine voice chimed from the stairs, heels clicking and stairs creaking as Anya's mother made her way down. She smiled gently at Anya as she approached the two.

"Do you have to go?" Anya asked. She couldn't help but still feel a little disheartened.

     "Don't worry." Her mother replied, "You're responsible and smart. You'll be fine while we're off. It's not for too long."

     Anya groaned, "Papa already TOLD me that." She whined, gripping the hem of her shirt, staring to the side at her door frame.

     Time passed, the day passed. It passed faster than Anya would have liked. Her parents were about to leave by now. She stared off out of the large window that stood above the kitchen sink, leaning on the counter with her cheek in her palm.

     "I think that's everything," her father spoke from the front door, walking into the kitchen where her mother also stood.

     "Great!" Her mother chimed, before making her way over to Anya, running her fingers through the girl's orange-colored hair, "Hey." She said, sliding some money towards Anya. Anya observed it silently. $150. What was it for? "In case you need anything important." Her mother explained, seemingly reading the teen's mind. "Remember, try to keep things clean, eat well, and do not open the door for anyone." Anya nodded, looking at the woman quietly. She smiled a little and kissed her daughter's forehead, ruffling her hair before standing up completely, walking over to Anya's father, who was waiting by the kitchen doors.

     They walked to the front door, and Anya followed, keeping the door open and watching her parents as they loaded their things into the car and got in the front seats. She kept the door open and watched until her parents drove off and were no longer in sight.

     It's only for a week. Tears rushed to her eyes. It's only for a week. She closed the door and locked it, listening to the soft click. It's only for a week.