Chapter One: Brunch

All morning I found myself singing and dancing around the kitchen with my mom and say what you want but I was having the upmost of fun. When I woke up I just knew today would be different. That today would be one of the best days I've had in a while. I woke up smiling and feeling refreshed and I honestly couldn't tell you why.

Maybe it was because I had time to breathe and I wasn't running myself rampant doing things for everyone.

Don't get me wrong I enjoyed helping others and feeling satisfied when they showed true appreciation for it, but I never had time for myself anymore. I loved to sing and dance and the more I began helping the less I was able to do what I loved. So being able to sing and dance with my mom even though I was helping her cook a boat load of food was like a breath of fresh air. A much needed breathe of fresh air.

"Sapphire Grace I never get tired of hearing that voice of yours." smiled my dad as he walked through the door. My dad was a cop and often worked late hours. Or as of lately, overnight. My mom was a stay at home mom who made and sold baskets. Her baskets were a big hit and she never took on more than she could chew. Each one was more beautiful than the last and you could feel the love oozing off of it. She was also an volunteer. She volunteered for anything and everything she could. When I was younger she always had me right there beside her. It's no wonder I became a helper myself. I grew up with it surrounding me.

"Thank you daddy and good morning." I smiled running over and hugging him tight. He smelled like metal and sweat. His cologne fading but still slightly there even after thirty six hours.

"Morning sweetheart. How was work?" my mom smiled from the stove as she scrambled some eggs. My dad didn't reply as he walked up to her and hugged her from behind before placing a kiss on her cheek. I snickered as I watched him take a piece of bacon from the every growing stack.

"Work was work." he smiled chewing quickly so as not to get caught. I laughed. It was pointless. I could hear every crunch with each bite he took from over here. "Why so much food sweetheart."

"Won't be any left with you here." she laughed as she pushed him back towards me. He smiled as he winked at me and threw his arm over my shoulder. I was definitely a daddy's girl. "And just so you know, we got new neighbors yesterday. I ran into Mrs.Tyler yesterday and I liked her. So I invited them over for brunch. Now you go shower and Sapphire please do something with your hair."

Dad and I laughed. My hair was a species of its on. Wild and curly. No matter what I did to it, it stayed a big curly mess of brown fuzz. Don't get me wrong though, it was always maintained. Brushed, moisturized and whatever else I needed to do to keep it from growing three times it size when it dried. I loved my hair, but my mom was tired of it. She tried a relaxer one time and most of my hair fell out. We never tried that again.

Anyways, my name is Sapphire because even though both my parents have chocolatey brown orbs mines are a striking blue. The exact color of sapphires. I have a mix of my moms olive toned skin and my dads caramel color. They call it exotic, whatever that means. I am truly a product of recessive traits from the both of them. I have all the curvatures that my mom have. A little more than a cup full of boobs, flat stomach, small waist and wide hips. I blush whenever my mom teases me about my body. Which to my dismay is more often than not. My favorite thing to wear is sweatpants and a hoodie. Of course my daddy loves it, but mom thinks I need to be more girl like. Hence the reason I'm sitting here in a sundress and surprise that he hasn't said anything about it.

"Margaret her hair is fine. If i remember correctly yours use to be just like hers."

"Your point Theo." she smiled sadly. My mom lost most of her hair when I was too young to remember. It has grown back, but dad says it hasn't been the same. All i knew was that it was something my mother hated to talk about.