prologue➙chapter one

golden saber

the blond haired tween sprinted out of the enormous mansion as fast as she could.

her hair was thrown up in a messy bun, while her clothing was dirtied and torn. her chocolate brown orbs showed pain, anger, and loneliness all thrown into one. her brows furrowed and her cheeks flushed from lack of breath.

her legs took bigger steps than she could take and she constantly had to pick herself up from stumbling down to the ground.

today was the day she finally made it out of the hell hole she opposed to call home. she made it out alive! for mavis' sake, she's alive!

"who woulda' thought?" the girl chuckled to herself as her legs continuously strode non stop.

she was tempted to pull a key from her pocket and call upon her spirit to tell her the good news, but the thought was pushed back when she realized she needed to be further away to truly have good news.

she could get caught any minute. any minute she could be pulled back into that ratchet place. any minute she could die. . .

a lightbulb seemed to visibly appear above her head as she conjured up a genius idea in her head, or so she thought.

she dashed into the nearby forest in the outskirts of her family's land. she dodged each tree and all of the wondering animals, ducked whenever a tree branch seemed short, and bit her tongue whenever she felt the urge to scream.

she was bare foot. which, of course, is not at all a good idea. but she didn't have any time to grab a pair of shoes before her father would catch her.

she wasn't going to let that stop her. bare foot? no big deal!

she came to an abrupt stop when she noticed a street lamp not too far away from where she stood. she wiped away the forming sweat on her forehead with her forearm while right after, she coughed.

how long had she been running? ten, fifteen minutes now? maybe more. non-stop running would take a toll on anybody, but lucy in-particular. see, her condition is yet to be known although, is most certainly noticeable.

she suddenly has trouble breathing at times, and it's gradually getting worse. she's had this problem for awhile now and all she does is ignore it. she ignores the pain that demands to be felt. it's definitely hard but she manages.

after taking a moment to catch her breath, she whipped her head around to check behind her. she went far this time. nobody would catch her, that's for sure.

she inhaled deeply before shakily exhaling. she took one step forward and her whole life changed, she could feel it. the static glided through her body and in her veins. almost instantly, as if on instinct, she began to run again. this time, not from fear, but pure adrenaline.

she felt free.

once her bare feet hit the pathed sidewalk, a smile was sent tugging at her lips. her feet felt relieved, finally. she was who knows where and still, she couldn't help but feel great!

the sun was sitting in the almost cloudless sky as it beamed down on the town and it's people. today was a perfect day, and the cool breeze made everything feel even better.