Ch. 1

"Bailey!" I called out into grassy back yard. The long, thin weeds that grew high into the sky blocked my view. I knew it was overdue for a good mowing, but I was far too lazy to care. Winter was coming soon and would do the job for me.

Taking a step off the back porch I made sure to stand on the tips of my toes as I got closer to the oddly healthy grass that stood taller than me. Calling out again, my dog finally appeared within the weeds with a nasty green snake hanging from her mouth. The head of the snake was gone leaving me to believe Bailey had bitten it off and swallowed it.

"Really, Bailey?" I asked as she placed the dead body at my feed and looked happily up at me as if she had something to be proud about. She did I guess. That snake could have bit someone.

Kicking the corpse closer to the high flowing grass I made sure to pet Baileys head before making my way back into the house. Bailey fallowed closely behind me. Her heavy panting made me smile and the sound of her nails clicking the wooden floor made my heart happy. Everything about Bailey made me happy. She was my daughter after all.

"Now, Bailey, are you hungry? I know you had a little snake head snack but that won't fill your tummy for long!" I made conversation with my best friend as we entered the kitchen. Mom stood there at the counter, drinking a cup of coffee, giving me a weird look. She wasn't one for pets and had always found it odd for the way I felt towards my lovely girl.

"Are you seriously asking Bailey a question as if she's going to answer?" Laughed mom as if it was funny seeing me talk to my baby. I didn't bother answering her but instead walked over to Baileys food bowl and picked it up. She was way too good for just dog food so instead I pulled out some lunch meat, meat I had bought specifically for her and her alone, from the refrigerator before scooping a cup full of her hard dog food and emptying the cup into her bowl.

I know this might seem excessive, but today was Baileys birthday so I made sure to make her breakfast extra delicious. Taking my time, I cut the ham into medium squares. Just big enough to fully wrap around one piece of dog food.

Bailey watched me happily and barked repeatedly after almost thirty minutes of watching. She was getting impatient and out of the corner of my eye I saw my mom shake her head in amusement before placing her now empty cup into the sink. "You spoil her too much."

"You mean not enough?" I argued. You could never spoil your pets enough. They love you unconditionally. Even if you were to beat them half to death, with one sweet touch they'd still see you as a perfect human. It was sad but it's true.

"Mom have you wished Bailey happy birthday?" I made sure to remind her knowing I didn't hear anybody else but myself in the house say it to her this morning. Mom sighed and moved to scratch my child behind her ear as she wished her a happy birthday. Looking down, tears poked at my eyes as I saw how big she's gotten. She sure wasn't a puppy anymore.

Bailey stood tall, almost to my waist, and she was proud. You could see it all over her face. Her blue eyes were bright with happiness and love as she looked at me. Did she really love me? Or did she love the food I held in my hands.

Just as I finished with my baby's food a loud horn echoed through the house. I jumped and Bailey barked as she stood in front of me in a defensive way ready to protect me. Mom touched my shoulder giving me a worried look before rushing from the kitchen to find my dad. Reaching down, I tapped Baileys back to let her know I was okay before placing the food in front of her face. It was only seconds before she dug into the food while I left the kitchen.

Mom and dad were both standing outside along with everyone else who lived in the small village of Salis. Confusion and a little fear filled me as the kings men flooded the streets on their royal white horses. A body moved beside me, my little sister Lila positioned herself on her knees and peeked out the windows just as I was doing.