Prologue: Juni

Juni woke up standing in the hallway. Her artificial eye adjusted to the darkness, and for a moment she didn't know where she was. She was carrying a small messenger bag, clutched against her chest with her tiny fingers. It was laden, but she wasn't sure with what yet.

She had often woken up in differing locations, carrying a full bag, not sure what any of the equipment she had was. She didn't even know where she had gotten it, nor how to return any of it.

Juni might have told someone or asked for help, but after her augmented eyes had been torn out, she was very shy, speaking to few and trusting fewer. Then there was the fear. How could she explain that she didn't mean to steal it? After all, she hadn't been awake?

Right now, it was the middle of the night, and she wasn't even supposed to be up and roaming around like that. She looked around, and realized she wasn't even at the orphan ward. She was somewhere near the office of Dr. Cyril Harper. She had regular check-ups with Dr. Harper and Dr. Doron since the surgery where they had implanted the augmented eye. But Juni wasn't sure what she was doing here now.

She hadn't told anyone yet that she was sleepwalking. She would wake up and for a moment not know where she was. It was always a relief to wake up in her own bed, but lately, this often wasn't the case.

She clutched the bag closer to her chest, chewed on her lip for a moment and reached up to touch her eye patch. The woman who had given it to her had also given her the eye, so that she could see again. The boy Dex had promised to make her another one, so she would have two again, and wouldn't need the eye patch any longer. But Juni didn't really mind all that much. She had asked Dex if he could make the eye black, like Amy Larsson's. At first she had thought he would laugh at her. But Dex had promised it would exactly like Amy's.

She wondered if Dex would be too upset if she told him what had been happening to her. But he had his own share of problems. So she remained silent.

She turned to go back to her room after fingering her eye patch for a moment. The woman who had given it to her was strong, and if anything, she would know what to do. Juni would wait for Amy Larsson to come back.