A Cabin By The Sea

I pulled the covers close around my head, as I heard the wind blow strongly against the cottage. I loved living in this small home by the sea, but the storms made me think twice about choosing to live here. I shivered under the heavy blankets, my fever keeping me from becoming comfortable. I loathed being sick. I couldn't go out ad ride, I couldn't enjoy the ocean, and I couldn't enjoy taking long walks be the waterfront. It was miserable.

A few moments passed before I began to cough uncontrollably. After about a minute, it ceased, and I fell back onto my pillow. Bored, I turned to look at the candle on the small chest of drawers that sat next to my bed. It had been dark all week because of the weather, so the house seemed even more cold and lonely.

Right as I began to finally doze off, the slam of a door woke me up. I jolted up in my bed, now wide awake. Throwing off the covers, I grabbed a small blanket that hung on a chair near the door to my room. I ran out the door and towards the stairs. He was back. After months of being gone he was back! At the door of the stairs, I looked around, nothing. Where was he?! I searched the house. Nothing.

It must have been my imagination. He wasn't home yet. He said he'd be gone for nearly 4 months, but my heart couldn't help but leap at the thought of him being home sooner.

Looking outside, I saw the rain had stopped. I sighed, and decided to go for a walk. It was cool, and slightly humid from the rain, but I didn't care. I walked towards the beach, the sound of the waves soothing my aching head. I stood on the shore, watch the waves crash against the the cliffs in the distance. I closed my eyes and breathed in the salty air.

While my eyes were still closed, I felt a pair of arms wrap around my shoulders. I gasped, then giggled a little.

"Don't rub your scruffle on my neck!" I squealed. "You know how ticklish I am!"

"I couldn't help it!" Tom said, poking my side, causing me to laugh again, which then changed into a throaty cough.

I could feel his eyes on the back of my head. I turned to look at him. He had gone very silent, and had a serious look on his face.

"What?" I asked. "Is something the matter?"

"How long have you been sick?" He asked quietly, his voice soft and serious.

I looked away. "Two weeks."

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"You were busy! I didn't want to worry you."

"But I'm worried now! Have you gone to see a doctor?"

I nodded my head. "It's just a viral infection. I'll be fine in a few days."

Tom grew quiet, and pulled me close. I could the sound of his heart beating under his shirt, which was soft against my face. We just stood there, motionless, listening to the sound of the ocean behind us.

"Next time." Tom said, causing me to look up at him. He cupped my face in his hands, and looked at me straight in the eye. "Next time you are sick, tell me. No matter where I am, no matter how busy I am, you are more important." Tears began to gather in my eyes as he continued to speak. "And if this happens again, you will tell me, and I will drop whatever I am doing and come home, understand?"

I nodded, and threw my arms around his neck, my blanket falling to the wet ground.

"I missed you so much." I whispered, as he held me close. Our height difference always made so he was always holding me a few inches off the ground.

"I missed you too" He said, his stubble brushing against my ear. He gently lowered me again, and looked at me.

I knew what he was going to do, and back away. "No! Don't! You'll get sick too!" I grabbed my wet blanket off the ground it threw it over my head.

I saw his feet come close, and watched as he drew the blanket away. He smiled, and brushed the hair out of my face.

"I don't care about getting sick." He stepped closer, and I felt my knees getting weak. I felt his warm breath against my face, and before I knew it, he was kissing me.

Whenever we kissed, it was like the world stopped. We just stood there, in a universe of our own. And in the distance, the waves continued to crash against the rocks.