pause . . . unpause

I hate him

I hate him.

In that moment, when he told me that, I hadn't ever wanted, or imagined wanting, to strangle him as much as I did.

Of course, he had to prove me wrong.

I told him no.

I screamed no, I screamed that he had to stop, I tried beating some sense into him, and he just calmly leaned back and shook his head, understanding my reaction as much as he hated it. He understood it, he didn't repeat those three words again.

But he hated it.

He didn't repeat those three words again, but he rephrased them.

"Hate me all you want, I don't care. Throw as many punches as you want, scream as much as you want, I'm not going anywhere, and I'm not gonna stop. Just as involuntary as every other aspect of our lives has been, this is too, it's not changing, even if I'd want it to, and I don't."

I'm gonna get him killed.

Someday.

Somehow.

I'm gonna get him killed.

And the worst part?

He knows I will. "Turn this into a fucking game, I'm begging you to make a bet out of it, just to see how long you'll last trying to change it before you realize not only you, but no one can. Genie gives you three wishes? Not enough. Every single memory taken out of my brain? Still only got one reality. A gun to my head....? You'll know my last words even if I don't get to say them."

"A gun to mine?"

An enemies to dead lovers, if you may.

"A gun to yours?"

I fucking hate him. "We're not the kind that fear death, why?"

I really fucking hate him. "We know it doesn't end anything, we know it starts everything. You think a gun to your head's gonna be the last? No, either we write a sequel together in hell, or you're gonna find me taking a relaxing bath in someone's blood."

"Do you know what a gun to yours means?"

"A gun to my head....?"

"A gun to your head, means a gun in my hands."

He smiles.