Stubby The Squid's: Undersea AdventureUntitled part

SPREAD 1

(Pages 1 and 2)

Stubby opened his eyes. Everything looked different. He swam along the bottom of the ocean, gaping at his surroundings. "I've got to get home," he whispered.

-----

BUMP.

"Hey, watch where you're going," said a chocolate chip starfish.

SPREAD 2

(Pages 3 and 4)

Stubby backed away. "Oh, sorry. I'm kind of lost. I'm Stubby."

The starfish looked Stubby up and down and all around. "I'm Chip. I've never seen a purple squid before. Kind of odd. How'd you end up here?"

"There was a huge underwater earthquake. It must have brought me here."

-----

Chip shook his whole body. "An earthquake brought me here, too. I lived off the coast of Japan. I even lost part of my leg that day, but it's okay. It just makes me faster."

SPREAD 3

(Pages 5 and 6)

Suddenly, Stubby dove into the sand.

"What are you doing?" yelled Chip.

Stubby poked his head up. "I thought I heard something. I don't want to be eaten."

-----

Chip shook his head. "Boy, you're jumpy. Follow me, I'll show you around. I made lots of friends since I got here."

SPREAD 4

(Pages 7 and 8)

"Oh, no." Stubby kept his body in the sand. "I don't like meeting anyone. I become embarrassed when I do."

"Huh?" Chip scratched his head. "I love making new friends."

-----

Stubby squeezed his body out of the sand. "I just want to go home."

"Well," said Chip. "I think we're both a long way from home. But, maybe we can help each other."

SPREAD 5

(Pages 9 and 10)

Chip made markings in the sand. "We'll have to find the right currents to bring us home. Maybe some of my friends know which currents we need."

-----

"I don't know." Stubby looked at the sand. "I hope they don't make fun of me, like they do at home. I've heard it before. I'm too short to be a squid. I'm too slow to be a cuttlefish. And, I'm always too purple."

Chip pulled Stubby's leg. "Don't worry. I'm showing you around."

SPREAD 6

(Pages 11 and 12)

Chip brought Stubby to Marley the Manta Ray.

"Hey, Marley. This is my new friend Stubby." Chip looked behind him, but Stubby wasn't there. "Oh, boy."

-----

Chip swam over to a clump of seaweed. "There you are. Come on." Chip pulled Stubby over to Marley.

SPREAD 7

(Pages 13 and 14)

"We're trying to find currents to bring us home," said Chip. "Do know of any?"

Marley crunched his face. "Well, there's a current on the other side of the ridge. I don't know where it goes though. You'll have to find out. Nice to meet you, Stubby."

-----

Stubby poked his head out from behind Chip. "Uh, yeah, nice to meet you, too."

"See," said Chip. "Not so bad, right? You met Marley and he didn't bite your head off."

SPREAD 8

(Pages 15 and 16)

Chip zoomed up over a hill. "Come on. We'll check out the current after we eat."

Stubby followed Chip. He couldn't help feel a bit happy. He liked Chip and wasn't having too bad a time.

-----