Contradictions Of The Heart And Mind (David Villa oneshot)

‘Amelia’ Robert sighed as he finished reading her article and threw it on his desk in front of him.

Amelia closed her eyes in painful disbelief, this was the third time she had been called into her boss’s office in a month and she knew that her luck was running out.

‘How many times do I have to tell you that even though you may be interested in how the dynamics of the boots that a player wears affect their game it’s not what I am paying you for. I took you on as an investigative journalist and I want you to find out what the players are really like and expose them as the phonies they actually are and not the sweet caring kind guys that they want everyone to think they are’

‘But isn’t that an invasion of privacy? I mean if they wanted the world to know everything about them wouldn’t they just stay in the spotlight all the time instead of shying away from it? And besides how can you be so sure that all of them only act all kind when in public and are really different in private?’ Amelia exclaimed.

In response Robert picked up the mornings newspaper from his bag and placed it on the desk in front of Amelia.

Amelia read the headline ‘Hotshot superstar in hot water over leaving pregnant girlfriend’ and looked up at Robert who was smirking.

‘You still think your precious footballers are as innocent as they appear? See this is why you will never succeed in this business I mean you always assume the best in people but here’s the reality not everyone in this world is who they say they are.’ With that Robert took a deep breath and continued ‘I am sorry Amelia but you leave me with no choice but to tell you to pack up your things and leave for good’

Tears began to form in Amelia’s crisp blue eyes as soon as she heard the words that she was inevitably going to hear.

‘Wait! What if I get you what you want? I mean a real undercover story please you know I can write now let me write something you believe everyone will want to read’ Amelia begged as she leaned forward in her seat.

A defeated look spread across Robert’s face as he looked up and sighed ‘Ok but this is your last chance if you mess up on it you are out of her faster than you can say Vamos Espana’

‘Oh thank you Robert thank you I won’t mess up this time I promise’ Amelia exclaimed as she picked up her handbag and made her way out of his office.

However as she closed the door something hit her; she had no idea about what she was going to write about and a wave of anxiety came over her. She was quickly brought back to reality as her phone beeped as a text had arrived from her best friend and housemate Olivia asking if she wanted to join her for lunch at their favourite local cafe.

Deciding she needed some help with the huge task at hand she quickly made her way out of the office building and down the street to the cafe.

When she arrived she found Olivia sitting at a table near the window reading a newspaper.

‘How can they write this about him?!’ Olivia exclaimed as Amelia sat down at the seat opposite where a latte was already waiting for her.

‘About who?’ she asked

‘David Villa. Carmen has revealed that she is pregnant and she has said that David knew before he left her and now he is not offering her any support whatsoever! She’s lying!’

‘How can you be so sure?’ Amelia asked taking a sip of her hot drink.

‘I just know what type of a person he is and he would never ever do such a thing like that’ Olivia said her voice rising slightly revealing her anger.