ѕeven

SHE had found an empty room aboard the Statesman and claimed it as her own. It was small and bare, far from her previous living arrangements, but given what had just happened, she was more than grateful. Syn set next to the window and looked out into the bleak vastness of space.

Away from Thor, Loki, and the people of Asgard, she pulled her knees up to her chest and began to cry. Syn cried for the people that did make it, for the lost artifacts and knowledge that no other world possessed, for her own parents, and for the home she had known all her life that had been destroyed.

Loki slipped into the room and frowned upon seeing that there were tears running down her cheeks. She quickly wiped them away with the bloodied sleeve of her dress when she realized she wasn't alone any longer. "Syn," he breathed, coming to rest by her side.

His arms encircled her waist, drawing the Goddess of Truth up next to him. It felt good to have her within his arms. He didn't want to let her go again.

Syn glanced up at him and saw the distant and troubled look in his deep, green eyes. "What?" She asked, breaking free of his embrace to sit up and face him, her own sorrows seemed to vanish in her concern for him.

The God of Mischief glanced down, looking at the scar in his palm. "Thor plans to return to Earth," he answered, obviously unsettled and annoyed.

"Is that such a bad thing?" Syn inquired, knowing that Thor was only doing what he thought to be in the best interest of his people. His arms settled back around her waist, drawing her back against him. Syn leaned her head onto his shoulder.

"Have you forgotten what I did?" Loki asked in return, a bitter and pained twinge in his voice.

Syn threaded her fingers through his. She knew the truth of the reason he had attacked Midgard. She had always known the truth about him and for that, she knew him as he really was. "You just have to show them who you really are." That was a troubled man who had been lied to and hurt and now was trying to do better, to be better.

"It's not that simple," Loki countered. For their short lifespans, humans could hold a singular grudge for most of it. He doubted the people of Midgard would provide him with a warm welcome, that was if the Avengers did not kill him first. His brother and wife's words would only go so far in his defense.

"It can be," Syn retorted. Loki sighed and quieted down for a moment, choosing to simply hold her close and look at the far away galaxies that were spread against the dark abyss. He stirred, unwinding his arms from around her and rose from the floor. "Where are you going?"

A thought had popped into his mind and now he could not ignore it. "I need to speak to Thor about something," he replied, leaning down and placing a quick kiss to her temple. In turn, she kissed his cheek. "Rest, my love."

The first time she kissed Loki's cheek was unexpected.

They had both been in the gardens, practicing new spells and simple tricks to prove to Frigga that they did, in fact, study outside of their lessons. Even if part of that studying came in the form of bothering Thor. Just two weeks ago, Loki had managed to turn his brother into a frog. That stunt had nearly given Frigga a heart attack.

His face scrunched up a split-second after her lips had left his cold, pale skin. "What was that?" Loki asked, rubbing his cheek, hoping it would rub the warmth away too. It didn't.

Syn laughed, her eyes sparkling with delight. "Affection?" She said as if it was a question.

"Disgusting," he scoffed, though the flush on his checks dispelled the truth of his feelings. She rolled her eyes and looked down at the tome that lie between them on the bench. Then after a moment, Loki looked at her with a smirk. "Do it again."

Syn turned the corner and ran into Thor. There was a distant look in his clear eyes and it took a second before he realized that they had run into each other. "Thor? Is something wrong?" She asked, unsure of what had put the Golden Prince into such a strange mood.

"Nothing!" He answered, too quickly for her to believe that. Thor clasped her shoulders and amended his previous answer. "I have been given incredible news, though."

She wondered if it was about the line of succession or if the unrest in Alfheim had come to a close. "Then tell me!" Syn pleaded. If it was joyous news then she wished to be able to share in his joy.

"Sorry-" Thor shook his head "-but you cannot know yet." He noticed the look of determination in her eyes and the indignant expression that overcame her fair features. She was attempting to see through him and that was when Thor smiled. A wide, beaming grin of triumph. "Ah-," he began, "I'm not lying to you, dear friend."

Her face scrunched up. She didn't like these types of games or surprises and she certainly did not like it when people found ways to fool her or render her powers inept. "You'll be informed at tonight's celebration," Thor assured her before continuing on his way.

With confrontations with the members of the Court throughout the morning and afternoon, Syn had come to the conclusion that it was Odin who was behind everything.

"Father?" Vili glanced at his daughter, but returned his attention to the map and scroll laid out before him. The civil unrest in Alfheim was growing to be more of a concern. Syn leaned over his shoulder and moved two of the pawns aside. "Have you any mind of what Odin is trying to keep from me?" She asked.

"You'll have to ask your mother, dearest." He avoided the question altogether. Syn started to protest, but the crystal sphere on his desk began to glow. A summoning of the members of the Court. Vili rose from his seat and turned toward his daughter, kissing her forehead before leaving his study.

Frustrated with almost everyone, Syn kept to her room, practicing simple incantations and beginning to work on those that were more difficult. With her books and magic, time did not seem to exist. Before she knew it, most of the day had passed.

Vör entered her daughter's chambers with a handmaiden trailing behind her carrying a newly made gown. The handmaiden laid the dress on the foot of her unmade bed.

It was a simple gown with caped sleeves and a silver-gold belt. Though when the light caught it just right, she could see the designs sewed into the material and the small stones that sparkled on the bodice. "Why are giving me this?" Syn asked, looking up at her mother in confusion. "Green is not my color."

Vör sighed. "Just accept it, child." That was when Syn realized that her mother was hiding something from her as well. "Wear it for tonight's celebration," she told her daughter before leaving her alone to prepare for an event that would change her life.