Pure

Everyone knows the remarkable news about Howl defeating the Wicked Witch of the Waste. Things got better now: Calcifer's and Sophie's curse were broken, Howl receive his heart, and the scarecrow and Percival, the dog-man, were back to their human forms. But what else happened after that? The story is not over yet.

After the victory, Sophie's mother, Fanny, threw a party at her place, congratulating Sophie and Howl for their bravery. Everyone had a good time eating, chatting and joking around. After the party, Fanny came to Sophie and asked, "Would you like to come back home?"

Sophie thought about it and said, "No, I'm fine where I am."

Fanny was stunned. She looked like she was going to faint from her pierced heart. "What?!" she said. "Why not? I want you to come home. I'm your mother and I've missed you so."

"But I'm fine where I am," Sophie protested. "Howl has been treating me very well, and I feel more at home in his castle. I can't leave now. He needs me."

"You've been bewitched," her mother said. "He has cursed you to be his slave. He'll eat your heart. You're not safe with him!"

"Howl's not like that," Sophie said. "I've been in his castle for a few months and I know what he's really like. He's not a cruel demon. He has a sweet, gentle, childish heart, and he has never eaten any young girls' hearts. I'm much happier in his castle."

Fanny's eyes grew watery. She gave Sophie a big, loving hug. "I'm going to miss you. But who will run the hat shop?"

Sophie looked around the room, thinking of the perfect person to run the shop. Then she thought of Percival. He would be perfect for the shop, Sophie thought. Sophie suggested that Percival could run the shop, and Fanny agreed. Sophie and Fanny said their goodbyes to each other through tears and Sophie went back to the castle with Howl and Markel.

Weeks passed and everything had gone smoothly. Sophie still cleans the castle and is happy with it. Howl is more mature with things with the king of Kingsbury and with Prince Justin. Markel decided to get a job, now he's a tutor for all young witches and wizards. Percival has been doing excessively well in the hat shop. Every day, the shop is crowded with women who are excited to buy his uniquely, creative, fascinating hats. Sophie is also being taught magic by Howl. As for Calcifer, he did not leave Howl and Sophie completely. He still visits them every once a month. He looks completely different now since the curse has been broken. He looks more like an orange comet, soaring through the night sky like a phoenix. Everyone seems to be happier now. But something awkwardly different started happening to Howl.

A few weeks later, Howl seemed to be ill. He's been wheezing heavily and continuously. His forehead would get moist with sweat. When he walks, he would walk sluggishly with his back hunched over. Sophie noticed his symptoms and was concerned about him. She came to him one time to check his temperature and pulse.

"I'm fine," he said, trying to hold back his pain. "You don't need to baby me."

"It's not called babying, it's called taking care of," remarked Sophie.

Howl pushed her hands away. "I can take care of myself. You've done a lot for me, and I think you should take a break."

"No," Sophie said firmly. She placed her hand on his heart. Her eyes widened with shock "You pulse is terrible. It's skipping beats."

Howl felt it too but denied it. "Oh, it's nothing. It'll be back to its normal beat soon." But he squeezed his fist trying to stop to pain.

"You should rest," said Sophie. "Go back to bed and I'll try to solve the problem."