Prologue

"Lexa."

    "Lexa!!! Wake up." a familiar voice practically screamed at me. 

    I groaned at her shaking my shoulder. "I'm up. I'm up." I said, rubbing my eyes. 

    As I sat up in the bed, my childhood best friend Anya stood in front of me. I had just moved in with her family the week before. Things weren't going to great with my folks, nor did I like the school I was at, so Anya's family decided to take me in, and for that, I couldn't be more grateful. 

    I was going to be attending Anya's school this upcoming year. School had just ended for summer, which meant I would've been stuck at home with my parents all day, so for that, I thank Anya again. Anya is going into her senior year, while I'm only going into junior year. 

    "We need to leave in forty-five minutes. Don't make me late." Anya said before walking off to the bathroom for a shower. 

    It was the first Saturday after the last day of school, and every year Polis High School held an end of the year party kind of thing. Anya had talked to the principal and he had agreed to let her take me. She was going to give me a tour of the school so when I started in the fall, I wasn't completely lost. I wasn't really looking forward to it since there was going to be a lot of people there that I have yet to meet. I didn't really have lots of friends back at my old school, but there were some that definitely made it hard to leave.

    I finally decided to get up and get ready. My clothes were already all hung up in one half of Anya's closet - we spent the first weekend moving me in. I didn't want to feel overdressed, but I didn't exactly know how casual we were going to be, and I definitely wanted to impress the staff there. I was always big on respect. I finally chose something more on the basic side - plain blue jeans and a white button-down shirt. 

    Walking over to the mirror in Anya's room, since she had yet to get out of the shower after practically rushing me out of bed, I ran a brush through my long brown hair. It was straight for the most part, just a little wavy until it curled at the ends. That always bothered me.

    Anya had finally gotten out of the shower and was looking for clothes. I took this as my opportunity to get in the bathroom. 

    "Hey I wasn't-" I shut the door on her words. I waited for her, so she could wait for me for just a few minutes.

    I brushed my teeth and washed my face, the same things I did every day before I went to school. Anya was banging on the door but I ignored her. I liked showering at night, and I had been lucky given the amount of time Anya was in there, I wouldn't have been ready in time.

    I finally opened the door, Anya almost falling on top of me. "Finally," she mumbled.

    I just rolled my eyes and put on my black vans. "Waiting on you!" I called out, only for her to respond with not very nice words.

    When Anya was finally ready, we grabbed our things and headed outside. Anya had her own car, a gift from her parents. Anya's family was on the wealthier side, and she had told me they were going to take good care of me but I refused to take any gifts they threw at me. Her car was nice, a small white Cadillac. 

    Polis High was only about ten minutes away, so I didn't bother messing with the radio, although usually, I enjoy listening to tunes on a trip. When we got there, I took a minute to take in the new place. It was bigger than my old school, so it probably had tons more activities - and students for that matter.

    I was too busy gazing to notice Anya had already started walking in. "Wait for me!" I said, running to catch up to her. Inside, quite a few people were already here. Music was playing and disco lights danced to the beat. There was a concession table with punch and soda and cookies. We were in the cafeteria, but most of the tables had been folded away so we could have room to dance. I looked around, waiting to see what Anya was going to tell me about the place.

    "Hey Lex, we'll tour later." I didn't understand what she meant until some girl with dark reddish hair came dancing over and in seconds was all over Anya's mouth. It was her girlfriend, Raven. 

    I had met Raven a few times so far since she had the tendency to come over a lot. Raven pulled away for Anya's kiss for a second to breathe, which was when she saw me. She gave me a small smile. "Hey, Lexa." was all she said before Anya had her again. I just rolled my eyes and took a seat at a table nearby.

    The only people in this entire room that I knew were Anya and Raven and they were too busy dancing on each other to acknowledge me. I felt out of place since this was an end of year party and I didn't even go to school here yet. 

    After what felt like forever, I saw them walking towards me. Raven was a year younger than Anya, meaning I was going to be in her grade. "So, this is our cafeteria," Raven smirked. This was obvious. Then I saw her signal over what looked like a group of her friends. I gulped as I didn't really know what to do since these were my peers now and I would have to get to know them, seeing as Raven seemed nice enough to let me hang around with her until I made my own friends. 

    It was a group of seven, which was kind of intimidating, but they all smiled and waved at me. Raven started introducing them down the row. "This is Lexa. She's Anya's bestie and she's going to be in our grade in the fall." she smiled. "Lexa, this is Jasper, Monty, Bellamy, Lincoln, Octavia, Harper, and- Oh! That over there is Clarke." Raven pointed to a blonde girl who was over getting some punch for her friends. She turned around and that was when my green eyes met her blue and the world almost seemed to stop.