Tristan and Isolde

Before now many have told the love story of Tristan and Isolde, but none have done so more faithfully than Thomas, and it is primarily his authentic version that I, Gottfried, follow in presenting to all noble hearts the following tale of love, sacred yet forbidden, healing yet destructive, fulfilling yet frustrating, tyrannical yet benevolent. All with noble hearts will understand. May this tale enhance their minds, enrich their lives, and fortify their love.

In Parmenie, a domain in Brittany, there lived a noble lord named Rivalin. Wishing to gain the experience and learning that can only be obtained by foreign travel, Rivalin set sail for the mighty castle Tintagel in Cornwall, where he wished to join the court of King Mark, whose chivalry, polish, and courtly grace were known well beyond his double realm of Cornwall and England.

Rivalin participated in a great jousting festival held by King Mark, where he proved himself both a paragon of courtly charm and a champion of knightly skills. Hence he was well received by King Mark's royal court, and very cordially welcomed by King Mark's beautiful sister Princess Blancheflor.

During Rivalin's stay at Tintagel an enemy invaded Cornwall. Noble Rivalin joined his host in defending his realm. He fought bravely, but while repelling the invaders he was severely wounded. King Mark's men carried him, half dead, back to Tintagel. The beautiful Princess Blancheflor, hearing that the strange knight lay nearly dead, disguised herself has a medicine woman and thus gained entry to his quarters. Seeing her beloved lying there more dead than alive caused her to swoon, and she fell down beside him, her cheek against his. Slowly regaining consciousness, she took him into her arms and kissed him repeatedly. Her kisses revived him, and as God willed it, they consummated their love, and she conceived a child.

Thus it came to pass that Rivalin recovered completely from his battle wound, although he never would recover from the sweet wound of Blanchefor's love, and that was as it should be.

Not long afterward Rivalin learned that an old enemy was threatening his own realm, Parmenie.

"I must sail home," he said to Blancheflor," and explained the necessity of his sudden departure. Knowing that his absence would put the beautiful princess in grave danger, because of her strict guardian and brother King Mark, Rivalin arranged for her to sneak away in the dead of night and join his retinue. They arrived safely in Parmenie, where they were received by Rivalin's faithful marshal Rual.

Rivalin's and Blancheflor's first act upon arriving home was to have their union sealed according to Christian rite. Soon afterward he had to leave his new bride to defend his realm. A fierce battle ensued, and on both sides many brave knights were killed. Tragically, good and noble Rivalin was among the dead. The terrible message was carried to fair Blancheflor, and upon hearing the grievous news, she fell to the ground, twisting and turning with grief and with the pangs of childbirth. On that tragic day Blancheflor bore a healthy little son, but she herself did not recover.

Faithful Rual and his good wife adopted the orphaned boy as one of their own, thus hiding him from his deceased father's enemies. Because of the events surrounding his birth they named him Tristan from the word "triste," which stands for sorrow.

Tristan was taught all the arts of chivalry: foreign languages, music, horsemanship, athletics, tournament skills, and courtly pastimes. He proved himself an able learner, soon surpassing even his tutors in these arts and skills, and many more.