Kantha History and Indian Culture

Kantha (KAHN-taa) quilts has gained popularity and are showing up everywhere in designer homes.

Perfect in their Imperfections, these vintage Kantha quilts are a one-of-a-kind pieces made from cotton fabric. Artisans women in Bangladesh and eastern states of India manufacture these beautiful, delicate, patchwork multi pattern and vivid color quilts. These women stitch together the quilts using old saris and scraps of cloth and turn them into bright, colourful works of art and kantha embroidery is done all over it.

These are part of the Ibu movement, pronounced ee-boo. The Ibu movement is promoting women around the globe grow into economic self-sufficiency through the art of their hands. In the Malay language of Indonesia, Ibu means a woman of respect.

The best aspect about such a vintage kantha quilt are the little repair patches, their loose and uneven threads that connect immense character to the quilt.

Entirely hand-stitched by artisans, these quilts are such a beautiful and delightful break from the mass produced machine made products of the day. These present a fantastic kaleidoscope of color, completely transmuting and glowing up any living space with their fantastic details and vigorous colours.