Erick - Rainbow Boy

A/N: Hey friends :) This is the first installment of my collection of gay CNCO fics. It's told from Erick's point of view, and is about how he discovered he was gay during his time on La Banda. It doesn't refer to any specific performance on La Banda, it's just made up. Let me know what you think! xx

🌈🌈🌈

I have a bad feeling in my stomach that just won't go away.

We're in rehearsals for this week's group performance on La Banda, working on our choreography. There's more and more pressure every week, and we're getting toward the end of the competition, so tension is running high between all the contestants. Although it all seems fun and friendly, behind the scenes people are always snapping at each other and shooting each other looks. I'm beginning to think I don't know what I've gotten myself into.

This week I'm having a particularly hard time with the dancing. It definitely doesn't help that we're singing in English. I feel hopelessly lost, and I've been going over the song in all my spare time. I think I might be going crazy with all these dance steps and foreign words bouncing around in my head.

There's only one day until the live show. I really don't know if I'm going to survive.

"All right, let's run this part again," David says, frustration grating in his voice. He's the guest choreographer this week, and I think he was probably expecting us to be better than we are. Especially me. "5, 6, 7, 8-"

We go through the entire performance, singing into our fists instead of microphones and performing to an empty wall. I can feel myself miss several steps, but I know I can't stop, so I keep trying to get back in. My face burns with shame. Not only have the other boys picked up the choreography so much faster than me, but now we're working with the backup dancers, who are literally perfect. What must they be thinking about me?

When they finish, I know David looking at me. I can feel his eyes burning holes in my skin, but I can't look up to make eye contact. It's too embarrassing. He sighs loudly. "Okay, well that's a work in progress. Let's give it a ten minute break and then back to work."

The rest of the boys in my group file out of the room, headed to the bathroom or the water fountain or the vending machine. I move to follow them, but a hand on my shoulder stops me in my tracks. I swallow nervously and turn around.

"Erick," David says sternly. "I know you've been working really hard on your choreography. But the live shows are tomorrow, and you're not quite there yet. It's my job to make you the best you can be, yeah?"

"Yeah, of course," I reply uneasily.

"So in order to help you out, I'm going to introduce you to one of our troupe dancers, okay? You can work with him during the breaks and whatever free time you have." He nods slowly and looks down at me. I resent how he talks to me like I'm just some kid, even though I know that technically I am.

He beckons someone over with his hand. "This is Adrián. He knows all your choreo and can help you with what you need. When you come back to rehearsal, I need you to have your head in the game, all right? Great." He pats me on the back and walks away before I can even think of a response.

"Hey," the dancer says to me. "I'm Adrián."

"Yeah, I heard," I reply irritably.

If he notices my foul mood, it doesn't dampen his spirit. "You're Erick, yeah? I'm looking forward to helping you out. I've been a big fan of yours throughout the whole show, actually. You have an amazing voice."

I raise my eyebrows. "You think so?" I can't help but be flattered.

"Of course!" he says enthusiastically. "I love the way you sing, kind of quiet and low. It's, like, perfect."