Two Birds With One Stone

It was early in the morning, Gavin had just gotten to work on time.

"Have any customers yet, Karly?" He asked as the pulled the apron over his dirty blond head.

"Just some tourist dropping in for a morning boost. Nothing to worry about, golden boy!" Karly called so Gavin could hear.

A quick look in the mirror and off to the counter he went. Gavin and Karly started this coffee shop plan when they met, and now they have people come in from all over. Well, not yet anyways. Notes and Beans wasn't a well known coffee shop, especially will so many Starbucks around town. But there was one thing this shop had, music. Rentable mp3 and cd players and headphones, two walls filled with cds to listen to and buy, and even live music every now and then.

Gavin looked at the door silently urging the people walking the morning streets to come in. 

"Gavin!" Karly shouted making the man jump and turn toward her, "you're doing it again."

"Sorry. We are more of a afternoon shop huh?" He chuckled.

"Yeah. Except for that one guy."

"Huh? Who?"

"I keep forgetting his name but he has brown hair, kind of curly, oh and he comes in with a bad mood every once and a while." Karly described as she made herself a small cup.

"Oh that guy." Gavin smiled and stuck his hands in the pockets of his apron. One hand wrapped around the various crumpled papers, mostly receipts and the other clasped onto a pen. He the pulled the pen out before he sat down on the stool behind the register.

The bell to the door rang and Gavin stood back up and put on his work smile.

"Hello! Welcome to Notes and Beans. My name is Gavin, is there anything that tickles your fancy?" Gavin welcomed in the guest who seemed to be a worn out tourist just passing through judging by the sweat stains on his shirt and the heavy bags under his eyes.

"Yeah, uh. I'm gonna need your largest triple shot espresso."

"Alright," Gavin inputted the information, "6.45 sir. Where are you headed?"

"Oh we have some family up north. We are going to see them. I got two kids and a wife in the car tired as hell and waiting for me."

After Gavin collected the money. He headed to the back and made the drink. "Have fun on your trip."

"We'll try, thanks!" And the man went out.

A few hours passed. Only a few people came in, some for coffee and some just for directions.

"Hey, Gavin. I just remembered. We have live music night on Friday. You think you can find someone?"

As if on cue the man Karly had mentioned earlier in the day came in.

"Hello!" Gavin smiled and waved. "I'm Gavin, what can I do for you?"

"A regular latte, extra froth." The man said already going for his wallet.

"Name?" Gavin sat there with a cup and pen in his hands.

"Michael? Are you doing what Starbucks does now?" Michael asked.

Gavin just smiled back at him and wrote the name. "4.56" He rung the order up and handed the cup to Karly. "You don't happen to play music do you?"

Michael laughed a little. "I try."

"That's great! Can you play for us Friday? It's hard to find artist around here. I mean, it's a free gig!" Gavin rambled, "You can have a tip bucket for all we care."

After the receipt printed Gavin quickly wrote his number on it and handed it to Michael. "If you can just," Karly handed the drink to Gavin and he offered it to Michael. "Call me."

Michael quickly grabbed the drink, nodded, and left.

"Real smooth." Karly snuck up beside Gavin.

"JEEBUS." Gavin jumped, almost falling off the stool he perched on most of the day. Then he laughed, "You scared me."

Karly shrugged, "I try. Anyway, you hit two birds with one stone. The guy's number and music for Friday, no, wait you got his name too. Three birds!"

Gavin rolled his eyes, "Calm down. It's not a big deal."

"Not a big deal?" Karly laughed, "I know you have a thing for him. And did you how red his face got when you gave him that coffee?"

"He was pretty red." Gavin sighed and leaned on the counter.

--------

Authors Note:

Yeah yeah. I know, its not the big Emotional update but hopefully I can tide you guys over with a few chapters of this.