27th Floor Rendezvous

Beware: this is my first ever short story and it contains lots of mistakes and errors. Read at your own risk. :)

"As I gaze up upon the sky, I see not only the stars and the moon, but your love and kindness as well."

I stood there in my pair of five inches Jimmy Choo, ignoring the pain shooting up my legs while letting my gaze wandered across the skyline.

Everything looked tiny to me. The cars, street lamps, people, even the magnificent skyscrapers.

Probably due to the fact that I was standing at the peak of the highest skyscraper in this city.

La Palazzo

Which bring the meaning of 'The Building' in Italian.

Isn't that funny? To name a building 'The Building'?

Maybe they ran out of idea. Or perhaps they couldn't be bother that much with the name.

Curiosity gets the better of me and I dug out my iPhone from my silver clutch. Googling up the history of this building, I realised my judgement was profoundly wrong.

La Palazzo, also known as The Building was founded in 1964 by Sir Affonso Salvatore...

I scrolled down, looking for the meaning behind the given name of this building.

It was believed that Sir Salvatore named this building for his beloved wife, Lady Annalisa Salvatore. Although this fact was never proven to be the real reason, yet this was the most logical and veracious reason among all the rumours that had surfaced when Sir Salvatore refused to give the public an answer, claiming that it was private and confidential.

The certainty of this reason was further proven when an employer of La Palazzo, who request to remain as an anonymous step up and told the press,

"Lady Annalisa was very passionate about this building project. Not only did she gave her endless support to her husband, who at time was struggling to maintain this ongoing project due to some financial crisis, yet she herself was personally overlooking the construction. When she was diagnosed with third-stage breast cancer, Sir Affonso Salvatore was extremely devastated and he almost shut down the whole project. It was all in favour of Lady Annalisa that he did not do so, but to rush the project so that she could witness the opening ceremony. However, she died on the day before the opening ceremony. Isn't it obvious that the name has to have something to do with Lady Annalisa Salvatore?"

Indeed, there was an undeniable relation between it. Diagnosed with a third-stage breast cancer at the age of 32, Lady Annalisa was only given a life span of three months of her life. At that time, she was only married to Affonso Salvatore for three years. With no child to pass on their legacy, she passed away two months and three weeks later. Sir Affonso Salvotore never remarry.

I looked up from my phone as I sighed, shutting off my phone in the process.

That was...romantic, I guess?

"Hey."

A unexpected greeting sounded from my left out of the blue.

I dropped my clutch as a shock reaction when I heard another set of voice. Technically, I wasn't expecting the existent of another soul in this dark and isolated place.

Just like a gentleman, he picked up my clutch and handed it to me while giving me an apologetic look.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to startle you."

I took my clutch from him while looking at him skeptically. Luckily I haven't return my iPhone back into the clutch.

Isn't it ironic? A girl standing all alone at such dark and isolated place, a perfect chance for a crime to take place.