The Beginning

Jervetta (Yer-ve-ta) POV

I live in 'The Circle'. It is an old village shaped in a circle. Rumours state that if you try to escape The Circle, the curse kills you. I don't really believe that though. I've never seen anyone or heard of anyone getting killed by the curse.

200 years ago, in the land of Këllavil a sorceress came. She threatened to kill us all. To be safe, we decided we would create a village, to which no evil could enter. The problem? Because no one could enter, no one could exit either.

Most people who are here, were born here. The very small 2% were found as children, on the borders. These special children were able to enter and exit.
Nobody knows why or how they can, but they can.

For years they were hated, they were outcasts. Some were left to starve, while others executed.
Eventually they realized that because they could exit and enter, they could bring food for the village.
But they weren't trusted like that until about 130 years ago, because the villagers were worried that the special children,(whom for some reason came one a year) were henchmen of the sorceress.

Eventually they wondered if children of the grown up special children ( Or Ovinxers, as we call them) had the same abilities. They did not. Not even two Ovinxers' children didn't have any special abilities.

We live in a village of about 270, and 5 of them are Ovinxers.

My family, is a close friend of the chief's, so that means me and his children have been growing up together. Me and Xipatsia, (the chiefs eldest daughter) are so close, it's like we're sisters.

I am not an Ovinxer, but I know someone who is.