Holy Fuck.

The meat the woman had cooked the two Fae was bland, tough, and unidentifiable, yet no worse than some things Gavriel had eaten in his lifetime. He chewed and chewed the meat although it always stayed in one large clump. Gabriel paused his incessant chewing when he looked up to see Fenrys scowling at his plate of meat and beans.

"Just eat it," Gavriel said around the meat clump as he shook his head, "we have had worse."

"Gav, just because we've had worse doesn't mean I can't be annoyed about it, nor does it mean I have to want to eat it. Not all of us are as tasteless as you."

Gavriel ignored the jab and continued to chew.

Fenrys pushed his mushy beans around his plate.

He froze for a moment.

"Are they brown?" he said peering closer, "Do they look brown to you? I thought beans were meant to be green."

"You're thinking of green beans. There's different types of beans, you know that right?"

"Ah, of course I do..." He said, rolling his eyes.

It was quiet for a moment.

"I fucking hate beans," he said, poking a particularly mushy bean.

"Don't curse, it's impolite."

"Oh ever the gentleman Gav," Fenrys paused his poking, looking at Gavriel, "Are you still chewing that same piece of meat?"

"What?" Gavriel said innocently.

Fenrys raised an eyebrow, his fork held loosely in his hand, pointed in Gavriel's direction, as he rested his elbow on the table.

"Really."

A piece of bean dropped off of Fenrys' fork.

They both stared at it splashed on the table.

Fenrys, with a look of disgust, and Gavriel, with a look of disdain as he tried to discretely swallow the clump of meat.

Unfortunately it went down slower than expected, as it lodged in his throat.

He winced, choking a little.

Fenrys' head snapped up at the sound of Gavriel choking.

"HA! See, you can barely even swallow it its so awful," Fenrys said with a smirk, swinging his fork around in a small circle at Gavriel.

Gavriel pinned him with a look. He was always the mature one. The serious one.

Fenrys sighed and stabbed a bean with his fork, bringing it up towards his mouth.

Slowly.

Very slowly.

"Seriously?" Gavriel said with a raised eyebrow, his fork also raised.

Fenrys just stuck out his tongue and opened his mouth regretfully.

Both males froze as the door to the taproom swung open and a man and a woman stepped into the room.

The man, no, the male, was tall, built.

Strong.

Scars peppered his large, tanned hands. He was dressed in a green tunic and pants, his honey gold hair glinting in the light cast from the open window. His harsh mouth was set in a firm line and his thick brows were pushed in. He had a harsh but handsome face.

A familiar face. One so similar to his own. Like a murky reflection.

There was no mistaking who this was. He could tell by his scent.