CHAPTER 1: Reality

Hi friends! So, hopefully I'll be able to keep this story going this time. I've decided to add a song at the beginning of every chapter that you can listen to while you read it if you want to. You could also listen to the instrumental version of the songs if that's easier. Now, enough rambling from me! Hope you guys enjoy!

(Song: Hurts Like Hell-Fleurie)

Richie Tozier stood among the crowd of District 4 boys, heart racing a mile a minute.  He had escaped the Reaping without his name getting called four years in a row. What would be different about this year? 

At 16 years old, his name should only technically be in 5 times. But, coming from a poor family of five (himself included), his father opted for his name to be entered more times in exchange for tesserae. The tesserae then was exchanged for enough grain and oil to support one person for one year. 

His father, Wentworth, had never been too fond of him, and he made that very clear to Richie. Being the oldest of three children had never been easy for him. He had always felt like the least favorite. This was completely obvious went Wentworth only entered Richie's name to recieve the tesserae. 

His younger brother, Oliver (god, Richie hated that name, it was so--dumb!), was only 10...he wouldn't be able to opt for tesserae until he reached twelve. But Lilly, his sister, was 13. Yet his father thought only to put Richie's name in. So with his sister's name not being exchanged for tesserae, her name was entered only twice...while Richie's name was entered exactly 50 times. 

So there he stood, in front of the Hall Of Justice building, anxiously waiting. His mouth felt dry as he rubbed his clammy palms together, nervously bouncing one leg. He felt as if he could pass out any minute. But his attention fell back to the front of the building as a perky voice spoke up in the microphone.

"Welcome, District 4!" she began joyfully, lifting her chin up confidently. Richie thought these games must have been a joke to her, just as they were to the rest of the Capitol. It took a lot for him to not open his big mouth, so he adjusted his glasses instead as a silent gesture of irritation.

He completely zoned out, not wanting to listen to her careless voice ramble on about the same old shit he had to listen to every single year. His attention was brought back to her when she said, "Now, shall we begin with the ladies?"

Richie's eyes followed her as she strutted across the stage to the girl's bowl. Richie held his breath as she reached her hand in, stirring around the names with her finger.

God, he hoped it wasn't Lilly. That was the last thing he wanted. Yeah, he hated her sometimes, but if she went, that would mean he would have to go too. To make sure she got out of there alive. 

District 4 was a Career district. But it wasn't an ordinary Career district, like 1 and 2 were. They did spend their whole lives training for this as 1 and 2 did, but no one was eager to volunteer as the teens were in districts 1 and 2. District 4 wasn't as ruthless as the other Careers, but they were more ruthless than the rest of the districts. They could usually make it pretty far to the end, but were always wiped out in the end by 1 and 2. Richie couldn't remember the last time someone from District 4 won the games. 

"Beverly Marsh," said the perky woman on stage, making her attempt to find the girl obvious. Everyone's heads turned to a small, pale girl with short, curly, auburn hair. Richie had seen her in training a few times. She was definitely a badass, and he may or may not have had a small...okay, BIG crush on her. He had never actually talked to her, but he thought she was beautiful. The way her icy blue eyes seemed to flow like the waves sent Richie almost into some sort of trance. And her freckles...he had always been a sucker for freckles. 

He had been so caught up in watching Beverly's movements that he almost missed the calling of the boy's names. His palms clammed up again as she reached in and pulled out a clean, white strip of paper. He wondered if the boys around him could hear his heartbeat. 

"Richard Tozier." And that's when he went pale. He could've sworn everything went black for a moment. He froze up in all his movements as everyone turned to look at him. 

No, no, this couldn't be happening. It was a dream. He would wake up in the morning in his shithole of a house and everything would be fine. But when he was shoved forward by the boy standing behind him, he realized this was reality. 

He hesitantly made his way up on stage, praying to god that he wouldn't just projectile vomit everywhere. His ears rang and his stomach felt as if it was an empty hole. He could barely even hear what was being said to him. He wondered how his family was reacting at the moment. God forbid, his dad was probably cheering in his mind right now.

He turned his head and laid his eyes on Beverly before realizing he was supposed to shake hands with her. His legs wobbled slightly as he stepped forward, taking in a shaky breath. He shook the much shorter girl's hand. Her hand felt the same way his did. Sweaty and shaky. 

But their hands were broken apart when the District 4 escort stepped between them, taking one of each of their hands in her own. "May I present to you, the District 4 tributes for this year's Hunger Games!" She held up their hands in the air, and once again, it didn't feel real.

But it was. It was reality.