Chapter 1

Me and Jack hung around the Creek as we layed on the pier catching fish. I had caught about two so far a large and a small mouth Bass Jack on the other hand I peered over to him he had caught close to ten basses in total. For some reason Jack liked to out shine me we were friends since we met back In kindergarten. In a time like this seeing a black kid and a white kid hanging out together was a big no no. So we only hang out at dusk. Jack said"Ha I caught way more then you" said Jack with an arrogant tone. "You got jokes huh" said I smirking. "Well I gotta be on my way or else ma and Pa will get suspicious see ya later Ben"Jack waved as he slung his catches of the day over his shoulder and headed west. I sniffed out a strange smell in the air and followed it to the woods and witnessed a brutal sight there was a group of men in white clothing. They each sported a cone shaped mask with holes to gape through. I looked in shock as one with red attire stepped onto the scene and lit a birch wood Cross. I wish I didn't move cause when I stepped back a snapped a twig and all eyes turned they're gaze to the direction of the sound. I hid behind a tree as three of them made their way over to my direction. I froze In fear as the footsteps crunched dry straw. My body wouldn't move" I don't wanna die like this" I said in my mind. I realized that if I die here I'll have left many things undone I felt a rush of adrenaline through my body and the ice keeping my body from advancing broke I rushed forward as I heard one of the men say"grab the dirty little negro! "