//1//

The sparks of the factory danced around my feet and the smell of tobacco filled the air, polluting the lungs of everyone around me. I turned to check if anyone was around, before sneaking in amongst the factory men from the BSA to find Freddie who probably be rounding up his communists. My nose burnt at the smell of alcohol but I pursued my chase for him.

Everything went suddenly deathly silent and someone pulled me back from the pathway, I struggled to become loose but the man had a tight grip. "Stay still girl, the Shelby's are walking by." I became still instantly, my families history with that family did not have a good impact on me. "Wait, y-you're that whores daughter aren't you?" He whispered, but was shortly cut off by the sound of boots echoing down the walkway.

My eyes adjusted to the darkness and I saw John Shelby, his cap was adjusted sturdily on his head, but blood was scattered across his face and a smug expression that complied. I kept my eyes firmly on him until he left and everyone continued about their business as if nothing had just happened. "Go. Now." The man who had held me let go and made sure I left safely, I thanked him and scurried off.

I didn't know where to go, but I knew where to not go. The Garrison, on the other hand  was an open option, so I decided to go there. Grace welcomed me as I entered and I returned it, we had met the other day when I was coming back from my family meeting. No one knew my background, so I had to be careful and tread lightly when talking about my background. My uncle knew nothing about me applying for a job in the Garrison, otherwise he would have sent me away. The Mafia doesn't fuck with the Peaky Blinders basically. Yet I had gone to school with John, we grew up together- I was terrified of him though and I don't think he would remember me.

"Name."

"(Y/n)" I replied instantaneously.

"Are you good at being a barmaid?" Grace asked bluntly, her Irish accent standing out, I nodded and she let me in the bar, showed me where everything was and told me to get started right away, "I would like to say thank you, not just because you're doing this job with me and helping me out, but also because I have no courage with the Shelby's. I wish they would be a bit softer." She chuckled to herself, then snapped out of the little moment she was having to look me in the eyes, "If they want you, there's nothing you can fucking do about it- understand?"

"I'm no whore."  I spat back, venom dripping off every word, trying not to curse in my mother-tongue and get into trouble. 

"But you-"

"My fucking mother is nothing like me, and I don't think anyone would want me anyways." My palms started sweating and my eyes studied the wooden floor.

"I wouldn't be so sure, you are a very stunning woman." Grace lightened up and dropped the alpha tone she had previously been putting on, a smile cracked through her serious face and handed me some glasses. "Go, you have customers (Y/n)."

I turned around to face some men with a fake smile plastered on me face.

{vote//comment and follow!❤️❤️}