Worst Place to Survive

Hi! Phoenix here, hope you all like this. I'm planning on writing a proper story for this once I have the time, but only if you like it! Enjoy! ^-^

Cold. I'm so cold. Why did we have to pick this icebox of a shelter to hide from the beasts? It's suffocating, the air of this place. To be expected, there's no air conditioning. To constricted, to vacuum seal. How are Liz, Gil, and Maria going to survive here? The wounds were already infected from the bites, this place is going to make them turn faster.

Of course, I had to let them get bit, of course. Why can't I react fast enough when I'm supposed to? All that military training, gone to waste. They're going to die, and I know I won't be able to save​ them.​ I'm such a massive failure. Can't do anything. Stupid. Idiot, idiot. Why am I so useless? I don't deserve them, any of them. I'm so useless...

The cobwebs in here seem to suck in endless dust and sickness. Impossible to remove, impossible to clean. Unable to be aired out. Keeping it locked inside here, making it almost impossible to breathe clearly.

The bites have been getting worse, swelling and scabbing. The skin around the bites is peeling and tinted a greyish green now. Gil won't stop scratching their bite, I don't blame them, the thing is extremely inflamed, but it's not helping them heal. It makes it worse if anything. God, I sound like a mother.

  Tension is painfully high, Liz keeps trying to joke around and lighten the mood. Always the jokester of us. The groans are getting closer, hopefully, they'll pass by us. Maria can't handle more stress. None of us can. What do we have to do to escape these monsters? I would do anything at this point, as long as my friends were peaceful. I just wish this feeling would go away, this uneasiness in the air...Those groans are really unnerving.​ Why​ do they keep getting closer?

Bang!​ Liz startles awake with a weak yell, Maria and Gil knock into each other from their places on each other's shoulders. The door's hinges start to creak under the weight of the zombies. Blocking the door is useless at this point, by the time I manage to move something that would block it, they would have broken it down. I just need to be ready to shoot. Rushing over to the makeshift weapon area, I load a handgun, but I'm not quick enough. Bang! Creak... Crash!

The door gives way to the beasts and the six of them jump onto my friends, their glorious feasts. Cursing my shaking figure, and wishing for my skills to return, I watch my friends as the zombie's maul them alive. Snapping out of it, I begin shooting in quick succession, taking out five of them before ditching the gun as it jams. Cheap piece of junk...​ Grabbing my professional hunting knife, I take out the beasts knees and stab it through the skull. I'm met with a disgustingly satisfying squelch. Thank god...

Looking over to my friends, I find myself frozen in horror as I take in the extent of the attack. Large chunks of flesh ripped grotesquely from their bodies, blood pooling underneath them. Clothes shredded into pieces in evidence of obvious frenzied movements as the creatures had ripped out their organs. Eyes gorging out of their sockets in a strangely artistic manner, no matter how gory. They didn't even scream, not for long...They were too far gone.They probably didn't feel much, it must have numbed after a while.

    Sobs start to rack my body as the gut-wrenching truth sets in, they're gone, everyone is gone. Sinking to the floor, breathing, a basic human function, suddenly difficult. Chest constricting painfully around my lungs and heart, with such force I thought my ribs would snap into pieces.

I'm alone... Why?! I should have done something, should have snapped out of it sooner! They would have lived longer if I only reacted like I was trained to. What would the general think, Lucielle? He'd be so disappointed, more than usual. I'm so weak, can't even save my friends. I'm so, so weak. I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry! I should have reacted, should have been ready, should have protected you. Liz, Maria, Gil...You don't deserve this, you didn't deserve any of this! You deserved a better friend...Why did this happen? Why do bad things happen to the best of people? It's not fair, not fair...

My thoughts are interrupted by groans, right in front of me. No. No, I can't. I can't​ do this, not now! But I have to, they​ deserve peace.​ I have to kill them, they wouldn't want to become monsters. Just breathe, Lucielle, just breathe and do it! Raising the knife, switching to autopilot to avoid hesitating, I take them out. Knife sliding through their skulls smoothly.

They can rest now, I think to myself, and so can I.​ The knife is through my skull with only one thought in my mind.​ See​ you soon, my love. Wait for me, Maria...Just give me a moment. I'll be at your side.

Hope you liked it! Please comment and vote if you did, or suggest any improvements you want to see. Any grammatical errors, anything you want!