When I first saw her

It was just a normal monday morning. I dragged myself grumpy out of bed, put on some clothes, ate my breakfast and washed myself. When I was done it was already time to leave for school. I opened the front door and stepped outside. My friend Taylor was already waiting in her car. She smiled at me, too tired to talk, and drove away the moment I sat down.

’Ready for today?’ I asked her, knowing how much we both hated mondays.

’Girl, I was born ready,’ she replied with a lazy smile. 

After ten minutes we arrived at the school parking lot. Of course we were almost too late, but we blamed monday for that. Taylor said she had to go to her locker and walked quickly into the crowd. I watched how her dark blond hair disappeared between all the people before I walked to my classroom. Of course my first class on monday was maths, because they had to make mondays more fun right? Right. I sat down and reached for my books in my bag. Another great thing of maths was that I sat alone, because all my friends were in other classes and this class has an unequal number of people. Great.

’Is someone sitting here?’ I looked up, still hanging above my bag, when I saw her. Her brown hair was waving over her shoulders and her brown eyes seemed to smile at me. Her lips also formed a smile and above them she had a cute nose with some freckles.

’I assume that’s a yes?’ She said while her smile fainted a little bit. I realized I still hadn’t answered her question.

’Oh no, no it’s free! No one is sitting here, nope...’ I answered with an awkward smile. She smiled in response and walked behind me to her seat. I cringed at how I had answered that question and how pathetic I sounded. 

’So, eh... Have I seen you before?’ I tried to ask politely since I had never seen her at school. 

’I don’t think so. I just moved here with my parents and this school still had a place for me. My old school’s teaching program was quite the same as this school’s program so that makes it easy to continue here,’ she said while reaching for her own stuff. ’I’m Kaitlyn by the way,’ she added with a smile.

’Morgan,’ I said in return. After that an awkward silence followed and I had never been so happy for the teacher starting the lesson. After a short explanation about some formulas we started making our homework. I saw Kaitlyn next to me making the exercises with ease. I was still looking at exercise one while I was thinking about something to say. For the next thirty minutes I tried to say something, but in the end I just kept my mouth shut. I startled when I heard the loud noise of the schoolbell. Kaitlyn had already packed her stuff and was getting ready to walk to her next class.

’See you at lunch?’ I asked quickly. Kaitlyn, who had already walked to the door, turned around. She walked back to me and I felt awkward again.

’Sorry? I didn’t catch that,’ she said with a smile. That smile again I thought. 

’Oh, I was wondering if you want to lunch with me and my friends?’ 

’Really? That would be great, thanks!’ She said with a growing smile. 

’Oh, I have to go now! I don’t want to be late on my first day here,’ she added with that smile still on her face. I watched her walk away when I realized I had to go to my next class as well. Though I didn’t sit alone in this class, I couldn’t stop thinking about Kaitlyn and the lunch break.