Chapter I

(A FanFic from 'Summoner' by TaranMatharu)

•••

The time was well past midnight. However, the sun continued to blaze blindingly in the skies. No clouds drifted over, nor any winds blew to bring it in. No bird sang either, they had long left, favoring the warmer south against this glaring white world of desolation. The world was as still as could be...

Until a figure sauntered in.

It was covered in black fur, scars littered its thick arms and broad back. It was the image of a bear. Strangely, the figure pulled a sled carrying a fur covered luggage secured tightly by a rope. This load was massive, easily twice the size of the figure pulling it. After walking in circles, it stopped before a wide trunk that rose higher than any in the forest.

The figure grunted and crouched facing the leafless tree, then , unexpectely, ran and leapt towards its branch! This branch was a good two metre higher than the figure. However, a hand hanged to it then used the created momentum to drag its body up, balancing with a one hand stand atop the ten inch thick branch before backflipping into a stand. All in a single motion.

Then, it proceeded to remove its head. No, it proceeded to remove the skin of its head. Wrong, it proceeded to remove the makeshift hood,made of a bear's skinned head, that covered the figure's real head. Lifting this confusing hood up, a pointed ear spiked with his short jet black hair. His eyes twinkled mischievously as he bowed to invicible audiences.

"Ahahah!" He laughed. His voice sweeping through this quiet world. Lack of response didn't bother him, in fact, if even a squirrel chipped in he would be too embarassed to get out of his room ever again.

He shrugged, sending his earring to bouy back and forth. It was blood red in color, effectively duplicating the shade of his irises, a gift he wore for all his life, a long while.

The image of a bear clambered up, deftly maneuvering his way through a maze of snow laided branches and outreaching twigs. Considering that his hands are gloved with paws and that he wore a bulky costume, any tree climber would appraise his climb with admiration of his skill and experience, and form a small question on the side of why he things hard to begin with.

He reached the last branch capable of supporting his weight and balanced precariously atop while surveying what comes after the Leafless Forest in his way further north.

A strong blizzard rampaged a day ago, bringing in pieces of ice crystal to scatter like twinkling stars in this white universe. It sprinkled amongst the wave of fresh snow that piled high and low, creating dunes that easily stretched twenty feet high and trenches that were deceivingly low. The truth was, everywhere were at least ten feet above solid ground, one step in this white washed world could literally drown anyone to death, with a promise of starvation if the former was incompetent.

He knew this. In fact, he had always lived knowing that. Desolate they called it, he see nothing but home. A backyard to be exact, his family and their ancestors had lived further north, claiming this vast barren region theirs.

He knew this place like that of his hand. Pointing out the rise and fall in every stretch is child's game for him, so he usually have a rough idea where to step. Usually.

"I'm screwed, aren't I?" He said with a sigh. Knowing this land like the back of his hand is one thing, but covering that hand with layer upon layer of gloves would not get him anywhere.

He wanted to scratch his head out of annoyance, but removing his bear suit will be too inconvenient so he made do by massaging his itch through his soft, baby pink paws. "Curse it!" Though, the action only irritated his itch further.