Encounter

"Alec!" A commanding voice snapped Alec from a daydream. "Yes? Sorry King," Alec quickly apologized. He usually wasn't called on during meetings and the monotony always caused Alec's mind to wander.

"The borders in Levi Woods haven't been checked for a few moons," King went on, eyes on Alec. "They typically aren't known to be infested anyway so it's usually not dangerous. I would like you to go alone to patrol them tonight."

"Yes, sir," Alec nodded his head. A patrol! Sure it was the most vanilla, laid back, never-even-touched-by-demons area in heaven but Alec was still excited. He was never assigned tasks that could possibly involve skirmishes on account Alec was very small for an angel. Though he made up for his size in magical ability, it was nice to be recognized as someone who could provide protection. Hell, King could've picked anyone for this job but he picked Alec. Alec felt good.

About an hour later, the meeting ended. Alec was gathering up his things to leave when he saw Samuel, the King's aide and one of Alec's closest friends, approaching. "Alec! I can;t believe you were finally picked!" The ginger was visibly excited for his companion.

"Me neither - I mean, it's not that dangerous of a mission anyway," Alec couldn't help but try to downplay the assignment. "Yeah but still! It's exciting!" Sam smiled, then voice lowering, he said, "Do you think you'll run into any demons?"

"I can't imagine I would. If they manage to sneak into heaven they usually try to damage places where angels live."

"Yeah but if I were a demon, I would sneak into the place where no angels were."

"What would be the point of that? There's nothing for them to harm there."

Samuel shrugged to that. "Dunno." "You've got to remember that demons don't have any humanity," Alec reminded Samuel. "A creature like that won't be content without chaos. The woods don't provide chaos." Samuel went quiet as they walked along the palace corridors. "You need to let them go," Alec whispered. Samuel sighed. The King, incidentally, has had two adopted demon sons at two separate periods. Samuel was close with both of them.

"Wanna go to the library?" Sam asked, wanting to change the subject. "Nah, I gotta go practice magic. Just in case," Alec replied. "Be safe tonight," Samuel said. "I will," Alec replied.

---

"Ense levis inchoare," Alec spoke in perfect latin. He felt a blade erupt from the palms of his hands, the condensed magic stabilizing into the shape of a curved sword. He gave it a few practice swings. His favorite thing about weapons conjured from magic was that they were incredibly lightweight without sacrificing power. Alec was too small to properly utilize real blades, so instead he mastered the spells of creating them from magic.

Alec swung the sword and smirked as a bright blue, almost white, streak appeared in the space before him. It made a high pitched humming noise that Alec found pleasing to listen to. Alec quickly lunged forward and made a deep gash in a boulder in front of him. Magic this powerful would surely slay any demon, Alec mused.

"Sphaerarum lumen iacit," Alec hissed as powerful spheres of blue magic shot out of his hands into the boulder, creating small bursts of magic in their wake. He had always been powerful with Light Magic. Other angels back in the academy envied his skill. Alec never let it get to his head; all people had different talents, he just happened to be good with magic.

The pendent on his necklace swung as he turned the boulder to ruin. His only remaining piece of his parents. He, like many angels, was given to the palace to be raised from as young as he can remember. Alec hadn't the faintest idea what his parents looked like.