Prepping

A/N : Hey y'all! Idek if anyone is going to read this but I'm just writing this for fun because it allows me to be creative, which I desperately need right now. This story is set in the present and for reference, today's date is 7/11/18 (yas Beyoncé). If you are reading this, I hope you enjoy!
~
Kiera's POV
~
I set the bottle of mascara down on my desk, while holding the wand in my other hand, slowly layering the clumpy black substance onto my eyelashes. Looking at my reflection in the mirror, I decide that this was as good as it was gonna get and I reach for my phone, pause my music (the song was 'Jump' by Julia Michaels), and respond to the "Are you almost ready?" text that I had just recieved from Ella, my best friend.

"Yup, coming down now." I replied.

In a few swift movements, I was downstairs grabbing my keys and sprinting out the door, only to be greeted by Ella.

"You look stunning girl!" I said. She truly did. She was wearing a baby blue tube top which complented her ice-colored irises, a pair of dark wash denim shorts, and her all white slip-on vans. To top the look off, she wore gold hoop earrings and her gold Kendra Scott necklace.

"So do you sis," she replied as we started heading to her old Mercedes convertible. I looked down at my checkered cropped tank top that I paired with my black cutoff shorts and my white converse. I also wore the pink heart-shaped sunglasses that Ella had gotten me for my 19th birthday back in March. We truly looked like the stereotypical teenage girls, wearing outfits you would see in niche memes. We drive down the street, top down, blasting 'Loving Is Easy' by Rex Orange County. God, my neighbors probably hated whenever my friends and I got together. I lived in a gated apartment complex that was mostly comprised of older people and young couples. Obviously, I was neither. But it worked out well for me, seeing as the complex was close to where I go to school, Washington University in St. Louis. As I relished the feeling of wind flowing through my curly brown locks, I pose a question to Ella.

"So, Trinity is meeting us there right?" I ask. Trinity, Ella, and I have been best friends since the first day of sixth grade. We had all gone to private schools for elementary school so we bonded over our unfamiliarity of public middle school.

"Kiera, don't worry we've gone over this a thousand times! I pick you up, check. We drive to the carnival, in progress. We arrive and meet Trinity by the cotton candy stand, soon to be accomplished," she replies. I laugh at her odd wording of the situation but I get the message.

"Okay, okay, fine! But I gotta turn this music up so I can get hyped!" I say, turning the volume dial to the right slightly.

"Ooh, I love this song!" Ella squeals as 'Empty Cups' by Charlie Puth comes on. I had to admit I did love his music. Ella continues to drive for a little bit longer, while I dance as well as one can in a car seat.

Finally, we arrive at the carnival and rush to meet Trinity because we had missed a turn and were now running 3 minutes behind schedule. As we speed-walk deeper into the crowd of people, a familiar face appears.

"Four minutes and..." Trinity checks her watch and says, "21 seconds late." Trinity could be a real stickler with time schedules, especially when there was fun to be had.

"Trin, we're so sorry, we got a little lost on the way here," I say in hopes to make ammends.

"Okay, I forgive you, now let's go have some fun!" she says. Phew, I'm glad she's not actually angry, because that can get ugly. We hurry towards the go kart track, unknowing of what was in store for us that night.