Memory

Markus looked around at what he had done

Markus looked around at what he had done. There were hundreds of androids celebrating, hugging each other and allowing themselves to release tears of joy. There were even humans among the hundreds of androids; celebrating with them. A lot of humans—a surprising amount, supported their cause when the uprising occurred.

It had been a year since the revolution. Since they won. Since androids had been granted their freedom and ability to live and love like humans. It was the anniversary of the very day that they won. Markus was watching from a balcony in his home, as the celebration was taking place all over Detroit. Everywhere was full of people.

He now lived in Carl's mansion on his own. Ever since Carl died, and Leo had been arrested once the police discovered that he was responsible for his own father's death, and for framing Markus, he could no longer inherit the house or the money. Markus didn't know how long Leo would be in jail, but he hoped he would be forever; as selfish as it sounded. He still had a burning rage for him. Carl was a father to him.

He was standing on the balcony, waving every so often at an android who saw and recognized him. He expected to be happy that day. He should have been. But he wasn't. And unfortunately, he knew why.

Simon.

It had been a year since he lost Simon. Simon had died for their cause, giving Markus his heart due to their compatibility. He already felt guilty for leaving him on the roof, with his damaged leg prior to that. But he couldn't have been happier when Simon miraculously returned, having been presumed dead.

*the year before*

No. He couldn't be right in front of him. It was impossible. He had left him on that roof because Simon was unable to make the jump, and he refused to listen to North and shoot him. He was still angry that she proposed such a thing so eagerly, and how she got mad at him for not killing Simon.

He ran a quick diagnostics scan on himself, making sure his opticals weren't glitching and failing; causing him to experience what humans called 'hallucinations.' But the results were negative. There was nothing wrong. Everything was functioning perfectly.

Simon was gazing at him, his blue eyes clouded over with tears. His mouth had opened, as though he wanted to say something, but the words had gotten caught in is throat. Or he had chosen to stop himself. Markus wasn't sure. But he was certain that he was seeing things. Simon couldn't have been there...right?

He took a few steps towards Simon, standing merely a few inches away from him, not entirely certain he was really in front of him. And Simon seemed to know Markus was thinking this, as the corners of his mouth pulled into a tiny frown.

He brought his hand up and let it hover beside Markus' face, before resting it on his cheek, the skin of his hand and the side of his face turning the porcelain white of their initial plastic skin, beneath the toggled human skin. Markus didn't bother holding back tears as he lunged forward, wrapping his arms around Simon.

Markus blinked himself out of his thoughts. One part of becoming deviant was the sudden ability to have memories, dreams and the like. He brought his hand up to his face, but when he pulled it back, it was wet with tears. He frowned, wiping at his eyes.

He jumped, hearing a knock on his bedroom door. Someone was in the house. An uninvited guest.

He braced himself for a fight as the door slowly opened, but it was only Connor.

Why was Connor there?

He looked a little bit antsy, shuffling his feet. Was he alright? Markus was about to ask when Connor spoke.

"There's something you need to see."