Chapter One

Beatrice

        In my opinion, "love at first sight" is one of the biggest lies in humanity today. "Meant-to-be fated" romance doesn't have the same depth of that of twenty to fifty years of loyal marriage contains. Shallow by comparison is that of first-sighted love.

        "Connection at first sight" or even "the spark at first sight" is definitely more accurate. But these phrases won't work in society today because it "isn't as romantic." Love is a million moments back to back, just like a rerun of a favorite TV show. Love isn't just ONE moment.

        Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet is not a romance story; it is considered a tragedy. Because they never progressed past manic emotionalism into anything more mature. All they had was "the spark," and even that quickly faded.

        END OF JOURNAL ENTRY #1

        "Beatrice Faith Haynes, I told you lights out!" Tracie yelled, down the stairs.

        "Tracie, it's summer vacation. Teens are supposed to be able to stay out all night without having to go to sleep," I groaned.

        "Well, you're a 15 year old with a nice paying job. You're lucky to have it. You have this curfew for a reason," she nagged.

        "I wouldn't call 7:30 a curfew," I whispered under my breath.

        "And get used to me being in this house. You may actually need to start calling me Mommy," she snickered, as she walked up the stairs.

        I got off the bed quietly and moved my dresser from in front of the basement door, leaving behind no evidence. I grabbed my hoodie, cell phone, and flashlight. I shut the door quietly and started to walk up the stairs. Once I reached the top of the stairs, I listened for the presence of any voices in the family room.

        When I knew everyone had gone to sleep I opened the door and grabbed an ice chest. I packed chips, trail mix, candy, and other various junk food. I walked out the front door onto the balcony over looking my family's field.

        My friends use our fields to sit around a campfire, do drugs, and drink all night long. I set off the flashlight signal to let them know I'm here. I got the replying signal back.

        I jumped over the balcony and hit the ground forcefully. I recovered and started my walk to the secret campfire site.

        "Bea! I didn't think you would ever come to a campfire with us!" Imala squealed, lifting her beer into the air.

        "To be honest, I never thought I would escape Tracie," I admitted.

        I grabbed a bottle of Coke and sat in between Zach and Toni. Toni was a 17-year-old druggie. He dropped out of high school before his freshman year to become a drug dealer.

        His twin brother, Zach, has followed in his footsteps. Toni wrapped his arm around my shoulder and leaned into me.

        "To be honest, I'm glad you came. You look nice..in that hoodie," he slurred.

        "Toni, get off of me," I warned.

        "What is the little shrimp gonna do?" Zach joked.

        I glared at him before I punched him full force in the face. Toni was quick to jump up and help his brother back to their truck. He turned back towards us and flipped me off. I laughed obnoxiously loud.

        Hour by hour, our little group got a bit smaller. People went home or went for a walk, but I stayed behind supervising the fire. I stargazed alone for the longest time. Screeching tires followed by the distant yelling from my friends put me into a fright driven panic.

        Bright blue lights flickered in my face. I shielded my eyes from the lights, as soon as I did, I felt the pinch of handcuffs on my wrist. I was escorted to the police car; no one else was caught.

        I could see Imala's face partly hidden in the shadows by the campfire. I struggled with the handcuffs.

        "Girl, you best be calming down. You're already in enough trouble as it is," the police officer warned.

        He shoved me harshly into the back of the patrol car. During the long voyage, the feeling of guilt and nervousness overwhelmed me. I knew that when I got home, I would be grounded for life. Tracie was already at the station when I got there.

        She was sitting in the waiting room filling out paper work. I walked in and stood in front of her.

        "Bea, you can't rebel against me being apart of the family. You can't stop me from loving your father, but you can stop me from loving you. You stop everyone else from loving you too," she lightly lectured.

        "I don't stop anyone from loving me! You never loved me, so I never had to try. We both know why you love my father anyway," I hissed.

        "You little brat! Don't you ever talk to your mother like that," she scolded.

        She stood over me, in her 6'0 stance, with a scowl on her face. She leaned in and slapped me on the back of my head.

        "After you left, your amazing father proposed," she informed

        "You aren't my mother!" I screamed

        As I fled from the police station, I bumped into a familiar police officer, Nate, one of my dad's best friends.

        "Hey Bea," he exclaimed.

        "Natilie," I teased.

        "Why you here?" he asked.

        I stayed silent and shifted my weight in the uncomfortable situation.

        "No, not my little buzzing Bea. I'll see what I can do to keep your record clean for you and your dad. No promises though," he breathed, dissapprovingly.

        I nodded slightly and opened the door the rest of the way. Instead of going straight home I decided to go for a nice run around town. The traffic build up at 3 A.M. was crazy; in the downtown area. I walked farther down trying to identify the reason, until I saw Imala on her knees in the middle of the highway.

        "Imala!" I shouted, running full force towards the small circle around her.

        Her blue-tinged skin screamed of sickness. She was continuously vomiting and her breathing was irregular. I rubbed her back and quickly picked her up. I ran two miles to the hospital.