Chapter I - A

Chapter One

A

9:22 PM May 15, 2018

Typical evening: the busy street of Manila, the congested traffic and a tiring day once again for me as I travel from Morayta to Quezon City. Orange lights were flashing in my eyes, the sounds of the old public jeepney were the usual sound I hear and the black smoke coming from the vehicles were part of the air I was breathing in. As I slouched from my sit and close my eyes, montage of the last four months sink in my mind. It's been a hell fast roller coaster and now, I knew I regretted the decisions I've made and keep on thinking on the 'what-ifs'.

I knew I couldn't change anything now. I failed. Not just three units, but a fucking 9 unit review subject. I was a step closer to my goal; to take the CPA licensure exam and pass it. But I took a step backward, a sudden detour that I should not have and was not necessary to my current financial situation. I exhaled, sighed, and opened my eyes that were fighting the tears. I looked around and see the labourers who is much tired that I was, students who looked like as if they haven't slept for days, and strangers that I knew had also something going on with their lives. As the jeepney I was riding stopped, I went down and walk towards the 7-11 convenience store. I waited for my usual ride; jeepney ride going to Novaliches, Bayan.

"Bayan, bayan, bayan!" a kid was yelling at the top of his lungs. Tapping the metal of the jeepney to catch the attention of the passengers. As he yelled continuously, I went my way and rode the jeepney.

"Sampuan yan, usog lang po tayo." said by the man besides the driver.

"Puno na. Wala na." said by the other passenger who was inches away from falling from his seat.

The man seated besides the driver looked in great disbelief as if telling that passenger who had just talk that it wasn't full yet. He counted all the passengers quietly and turned his gaze towards the road. Maybe that's what I called a total defeat?

I wrestled all my thoughts. Stared blankly at the jeepneys long windows and let the breeze of air swift through my dry dark wavy hair. It wasn't a fresh air, but I felt comforted. I wasn't even sure why but my eyes kept on watering itself. As I closed my eyes, my left shoulder felt heavy, someone had actually leaned his head and was sleeping soundly.

I didn't want to wake him up. He was a fellow student coming from the same school, Far Eastern University. Maybe he was just tired? I sat straight so he could lean comfortably and held my right hand to the pole so I could sleep too.

"Holy cross dyan. Holy cross na!"

I opened my eyes and looked through the window. I still felt sleepy and was about to close my eyes, I knew I still have another 30 minutes before we reach Bayan. My left shoulder felt lighter. I then opened my eyes to see how he would react. (I know he'll be embarrassed, been there, done that.)

I saw him going down the jeepney and was in a hurry. Maybe he was supposed to go down earlier? I smiled sheepishly knowing the feeling.

"Yung mga wala pa dyan. Malapit na po sa bayan. Paabot nalang po."

Realizing I didn't yet paid my fare; I immediately opened my gray hawk bag and took my brown purse with the cute Zoro keychain.

"Bayad po. Bayan po, estudyante."

The guy intently stared at me.

"Miss yung kasama mo, di pa nagbabayad."

"Ha? Sino po? Wala po akong kasama."

"Nakasandal nga sayo eh" he said in the most sarcastic and annoying tone.

As I was about to answer, I felt embarrassed. Maybe they thought I was with him since I didn't wake him up when he fell asleep on my shoulder. I was on defensive mode.

"Di ko po talaga sya kasama kuya. Pero bayaran ko nalang din po." I said in my own great disappointment and took my purse again to pay for the person who had a great sleep and didn't mind paying the fare himself.

Shrugging off the disappointment, I just stared blankly to the window once again. How bad can this day end?