Dr. Headless

The Dr. Headless I grew up knowing about is nothing like the real creature. He was just an old story my parents used as a scare tactic.

"If you don't brush your teeth, Dr. Headless with pick them out one by one to make a new head!"

"If you don't wash your hair, Dr. Headless will chop it all off and use it to make a new head!" His story was so simple. He didn't take care of himself so his head rotted and fell off. My parents said my head would do the same if I didn't eat my veggies and stay clean. I believed it because I was little. Dr. Headless was just a silly man who didn't take care of himself and rotted away, now searching for a new head. Now, we all know this couldn't happen. Impossible! Dr. Headless is so much more than that. Close your eyes and allow me to tell you the real story of Dr. Headless.

Dr. Headless was a young man named James Huch. James was in college, majoring in the medical field. He was a bright blue eyed man with long brown hair, shaved all around. James always had it tied up in a bun. He preferred to keep to himself. Ambitious as well. No matter how many sleepless nights and cups of coffee he had, he kept going. He was very strict about his health. James had plenty of friends as well. A very normal life, right? Right. James had no devilish secrets. No hidden murderous personality. No obsession with blood or guts. James was a functioning member of society.

When did the Mr. Headless part come in? It was a little later in his life. James had graduated. He had gotten a job as a surgeon. His best features had become his sight and hearing. He was able to catch anything wrong in papers, paintings, or patients quickly. James went out to celebrate his graduation with a few friends one night. He walked a friend home and departed down the street. The stars were out and the atmosphere was light. Not a single soul but James was on the sidewalk.

He made it home. James locked the door behind him and headed up to his room to change. The door creaked open and there was a thump. James flinch and slowly reached for the lights. His blue eyes searched the dark, looking for the source of the noise. The hair on the back of James's neck stood up. He flicked the light on.

His cat stretched out and looked up at James. It mewled happily and went over to brush against his leg. On the floor was an empty glass.

"Rascal! You scared me." James laughed softly and picked up his beloved fluffy companion. He set down Rascal and went to the bathroom to change. James brushed his teeth, gazing into the mirror tiredly. He stepped out and walked past Rascal. James shut off the light and climbed into bed. A weight pressed into the side of the bed. James tensed up. His eyes opened to look over at the edge of his bed. Rascal was sitting there, staring at the window. James scoffed and nuzzled his head into the pillow, falling asleep.

James woke with a jerk the next morning. He rubbed his eyes tiredly and looked around. It wasn't familiar, at first. It took him a minute to slip out of sleep mode. He eventually got up and got ready. James exited his room and prepared Rascal's food bowl and made himself an omelette. They sat together at the table and ate while James watched the news. Nothing out of the ordinary. More stories about the president or a joke being taken out of context. The sun came in through the blinds and kissed at James face. He would be in a good mood at work. Rascal hopped off the counter and ran for James's room. He chuckled softly and looked down at his empty place. James stood and picked up his plate. His vision quickly fell to the floor and a crash followed. The pain was quick and he didn't even feel it anymore. The boots walked away from his field of view. His lifeless eyes stared forward. Not a single thought remained in his head.

Then, James woke up. He gasped and let out a few sobs. His limbs shook violently. What had he just dreamed? So many thoughts and feelings flew through his head. He was scared, sad, what about his job, where are his parents, I'm shocked- All these swirled rapidly together like his mind was a whirlpool. He sighed and let himself relax. He tried to open his eyes. Why... Why could he not see? His eyes were open! He couldn't have just forgotten how to open his eyes! He reached a hand to his face. His face. It wasn't there. His hand went past where his head would even be. James reached down to feel his neck. There was a stump.

He did die.

This slowly dawned on James. He began shaking again. He was enraged. Who was that man? Who had done it? Who killed him? He needed to find them. James needed to find his head. He wanted revenge for what had happened to him. James stood up and felt around. His counter. At least he knew where he was. James walked to his door, stumbling over his own boots. He ripped the door open. How could he have been so stupid? James stumbled down the street with his hands searching around in front of him. He didn't know whether it was night or day. That man was eyeing him the whole night. He stopped at a door. He clawed at it furiously while searching for the knob. Unlocked. He left his door unlocked. The door flung open and James fell in. His body flumped against the ground. No head to bounce off the stairs in front of him. James climbed up the stairs. His hands felt the wall. His nails made trails in the paint as he climbed up the stairs. What's that scratching? She raised her head and looked at her open door. She pulled her covers off and flicked on her light. She didn't own any pets. A groan echoed the halls but the source was right outside her bedroom door. A whisper was heard. She barely caught it.

"Give it back."

She was shaking. She didn't recognize that voice.

"G-Give what back?" She responded. The figure slipped into her lit bedroom. She gasped and clapped her hands over her mouth. Her eyes were wide, her body frozen in fear.

"I want my head." The monster groaned and she backed up. The headless human looked around the room. It was searching for her. She hit her dresser and there was a small thump as it hit the wall. She cringed as she watched the monster turn through tears. It lunged at her and grabbed her face. It ripped furiously until there was no more. Nothing that could be described as a head. It raised an eye to the empty space where it's head would be. It dropped as the monster shook. It let out a shriek of horror. What had it just done? It stood and tore it's hands away from the corpse. These were not it's hands. Why couldn't he have lost his hands? It tore the room apart and searched through the mess it made. It picked up a mask. It felt the creases and bumps in the mask. The mask felt like a face. It could not tell what color. The creature held it up and it attached, to it's surprise. A face, an identity. Who was it? Who was he? This isn't James. James would never do this. The mask's lips shifted into a frown.

He wasn't James. The creature stood and shuffled out of the room. He had to get James's revenge. James wasn't around to do it. Someone had to. His boots left sticky prints in the carpet. He left the house. The familiar feeling of sun rays brushing against his skin welcomed him as he stepped outside. James was smart. He could thank him for that. He knew well that society would never accept him. The only evidence needed to put him down was the dirt under his nails. He stepped off the sidewalk and headed behind the house. If he was no longer James, who was he? Twigs cracked under his boots. He had no name. Roots grabbed at his ankles and tripped him. He was not nameless though. The birds shrieked with laughter. Too noisy, too noisy, too much, too much noise. The noise stopped once he reached a creak. Who was he? He dropped to his knees and shoved my sticky hands in the cleansing water. The tips of my fingers had gone numb from the rushing water. The feeling was addicting. I need to keep going for James. I closed my new plastic eyelids. My plastic lips parted as a sigh slipped through. I know who I am. I drew in the mixed smells of the forest and the copper scent that stained my shirt. I am not James, I am not nameless. I am revenge, I am what will free James. I have a purpose.

I am Doctor Headless.

This is my story, and it is not over.