Lost

The Winter Soldier stood outside the entrance of the Smithsonian Museum. His eyes stared blankly out at the busy street, barely noticing people staring strangely as they passed.

"Your name... is James Buchanan Barnes." 

The exhibit said that he and Captain America had been inseparable. Comrades who fought alongside each other, had each other's back.

So my mission... they sent me on a mission to kill my closest friend.

He began walking down the steps and onto the sidewalk, walking in no particular direction, his subconscious telling him that he would be less noticeable walking rather than just standing there. His cybernetic arm was hidden by the long sleeve sweater with his hands stuck in his pockets. He turned a corner, then another, eventually wandering into a dim alleyway.

A loud crash jerked the Soldier out of his reverie. Automatically he moved to the wall and inched toward the sound. He peeked his head around the corner of a small lot just in time to see one of two bulky boys punched a smaller one in the mouth. "Not so smartass anymore, huh?" he sneered as the boy stumbled backwards against the wall, lost his balance, and fell onto a trash bag full of what sounded like cans. The bully kicked the smaller boy in the ribs as he tried to get up. "I gotta--" gasped the boy as he heaved himself up on his elbows. "I gotta stand up..." He wavered and fell back down.

Suddenly words began echoing in the Soldier's mind. "I gotta stand up, you know. Can't keep running away, they'll never let you stop."  The alley changed in his eyes, a thinner version of Steve-- his name was Steve-- staggering a little in front of him. He looked up and said, "I had him on the ropes, Buck."

The second bully was rummaging through the victim's backpack. "Hah. Lookit this, dude, he even plays the flute!" The first one laughed harshly and snatched the case. "Go fetch, teacher's pet!" He threw it as hard as he could toward the alleyway.

A gleaming metal hand appeared and caught the case mid-flight. The bullies gaped as the hand's owner began advancing toward them, menacing blue eyes glaring them down. They backed up a few steps, realizing that they were trapped. "It's only one guy, Mac, c'mon!" One shouted and the two charged the figure. With ease, the man caught both of the bullies by their necks and slammed their heads together. He dropped them, picked up the flute case and the backpack, and silently handed them to the small, awestruck boy before turning on his heel to leave.

"Hey wait, mister!" The boy shouted at the last minute. The man stopped. "Aren't you Captain America's sidekick? I saw your picture in the museum!" The man turned his head halfway to look at the boy. "Yeah," he finally replied softly, "I'm Bucky Barnes." And in his heart he remembered, "And Steve is the love of my life."

*A/N: Sorry there isn't as much Stucky in this T-T Just Bucky remembering his love for Steve*