▲ | of befores and afters

This is a work of fiction.

Names, characters, places, and incidents are the product of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously.

Copyright © 2014 by jacesducks

DEDICATION;

This story is dedicated to anyone who has lost someone you loved dearly. Stay strong.

"Callie."

Her name rolling out of my mouth was like tasting blood. The metallic taste choking me from speaking, and pushing out the tears from my eyes, but I stopped myself from doing so.

The crowd looked at me with pity eyes, their heads hung low from crying; I meant something to her: I meant the world to her, her everything. She was my everything. And now she was gone...

I had not been wanting to say her name ever again, not because I didn't want to; I did actually, but it pained me, as flashes of our memories, justours, flooded my mind: Her hands snaked up to my arms and she whispered softly to my ear, "I do," and a tear had slipped out of my eye. My heart pounded with hurt.

Today, I had to: I had to think of her, speak of her, see her ghost from my memory of her, feel the pain for her; also because, I might never speak of her again.

So I was taking the risk to do so.

"Callie," I echoed again, my voice thick with sadness, and from afar, I could hear her parents sobbing at the loss of their daughter, and at the loss of their only precious Pearl.

"My dearest Callie."

Again, the flashes of memories came and went, and this time, I gave in.

It was 27 April 2009.

I remember dates, every single one of them; it is like mesmerising a song, but better; everything: every date, every single moment, every single glance, every word, every breath, every kiss, every hug, every touch was worth remembering.