Guys like us, Girls like them

"You thoroughly laid out all our history," Avery slowly starts, index fingers tapping the table as he speaks

"You thoroughly laid out all our history," Avery slowly starts, index fingers tapping the table as he speaks. "To explain to five people that you're stronger than me, based on a football game you beat me at when we were seven?"

Duke rolls his eyes.

"You always take the fun out of everything," he whines, leaning back in his chair. "You always have to take my shine with the black hole that is your boring ass."

We got detention.

Duke, Avery, and I, for having been absent from school as long as we were, and for being mentally absent when we physically weren't.

AJ and Luke landed themselves a sweet detention after Bianca's successful talk with them, so they could talk to us without burying Chloe's plans six feet under. Fuck her plans, I refuse not to be around the boys in this hellhole, but like.... until we tell her that her plans are shit and we're not gonna act on them, we'll keep it up not to ruin them completely.

Bianca, on the other hand, only had to raise an intimidatingly perfect eyebrow when she stepped into the detention center, to remind the teacher who's actually boss. I'm scared, ashamed, and apologetic, but I'm also very, very impressed. Belinda just tagged her.

Luke and AJ haven't spoken a word to us, but the absence of hostility in their eyes waved a white flag that burned my heart up, the resulting smoke making me teary, and welcomed our attempt to step on the ice. Duke, with the story he told when we all agreed to wait with the necessary conversation, cracked the ice completely and dove straight into the water.

"Mr Williams," the teacher tries saving his image. "I will not repeat myself one more time, this is detention, not a coffee shop."

"I'm gonna get into so much trouble," Duke warns us, clearing his throat. "Let me guess," he speaks loudly. "You lost the girl to a guy like myself all those years back, and you're taking it out on his descendant to make sure your bloodline doesn't rot alone when detention stops him from taking the girl to that coffee shop? Nice try, unfortunately for you though, my girl said through sickness and health, through detentions and coffee shops, so you just made this classroom the place I'll get down on one knee before I get down on both, thank you so much for reminding me how much I love my girlfriend."

...........

The whole room is silent.

My head hurts from his words.

My neck hurts from the speed with which I turned it to stare at him in pure terror.

I can hear the fast beat of the mortified air's heart.