1

"How's my favorite brother in law," Monica says.

Monica Carmichael is a top manager in the Miami area. She has some of the best artists in the city. She looks over at me with her coke bottle shape, her business suit on and the most dramatic wig ever. She's always been known for being over the top. As well as being the most sought after music manager in the city she also happened to be my sister in law.

"I'm your only brother in law," I tell her.

"How's my brother?" she asked, "You know the two of you are literally the best couple I've ever seen. When he married you, I said...you know what. I like Garrison...that's a good boy. That's a keeper."

Garrison is my name. Garrison Carmichael ever since I married Monica's brother Sean Carmichael. Sean and I were together since we were 16 years old. We'd been through it all. I guess you can say he was the love of my life. I'd never been with another guy. It had always been Sean. When he went to the Army I waited for him. When he came back and became a cop, I married him. We'd been together ever since. 10 years later and we were still going strong.

"All these compliments girl, you must want something," I state looking at Monica, "Spit it out."

Monica laughs. I can see through her like the Fiji water she keeps on her desk.

"I need your help. I need you to write for a new artist I signed."

"Monica. You know I don't do the mainstream thing."

"But you're one of the best writers I know."
I sigh, "Which is exactly why I don't do mainstream."

How many times have I explained this to Monica? I wrote for a few of the artists a while back. The money was amazing. Then all these popcorn artists started coming to me to write their stuff when they wanted to sound "Deep" on a record. For two straight years every artist on the Billboard track had a Garrison Carmichael track and honestly that was annoying. None of the artists appreciated the music I made for them. None of them stuck to it. They got their one hit and then went back to making garbage music.

No thanks.

"Listen this artist. He's different. I promise you. He's so talented and he just needs to take his career to an entire different level. At least let me talk to you about him."

"Sure. Whatever..." I sigh.
I tracked all the way across town anyway. I might as well hear her out. I came all the way out here more because Sean wanted me to. Sean figured it would be some good money working with his sister again and we were trying to buy a condo in Miami which wasn't the cheapest thing to do. Now would be a good time for the extra income.

"He was a child star," Monica explains to me, "He did the sexy thing. He has a huge following already. Only thing is they pretty much little girls. He wants to really leave the pop thing alone. And start making some soul music. I'm talking about competing with Sam Smith, Adele, shit like that. He wants to be the male Lauren Hill. I think you can take him there."

I sigh at that moment. A child star. Great. That's the last thing I needed.

"I don't know Monica. I know your artists. Let me guess. 6 packs, male model looking motherfucker who ends every sentence with yo, can't keep his shirt on to save his life, has made every sex song in the book and licks his lips when he talks just for the sake of it."

"No. See...that's what you get for assuming."

"Let me find out you are changing it up."

Monica smiles, "Exactly. He actually has an 8 pack abdomen/"