Chapter 1: Meeting Maia Roberts

Jordan had never met anybody like Maia Roberts. He had been persued by girls before, and the occasional guy, but he had never cared much until Maia. She was so self- assured, passionate and kind, not to mention ridiculously beautiful. Her smiled made her whole face glow, and made him want smile back. Her hair hung around her shoulders in adorable curls, framing her heart- shaped face. He felt drawn to her, captivated by her laugh, priveledged to even speak to her. She was friendly, cool, relaxed, patient.

   All this he could tell within five mintues of meeting her.

   He had told his friend Benjamin, who was waiting in the car, that he would quickly run into the music store, collect a few CD's and records from the sale box, and be back within five minutes. It had now been twenty minutes, and Jordan had absolutely no intention of ending his conversation with the sweet and funny girl standing across from him.

   "I just can't believe you listen to them too," Maia said for the fifth time, gesturing to a stack of records placed between them, "I don't know anybody else who does, especially not on vinyl."

   Jordan grinned back at her, his heart thumping nervously and happily in his chest. "Everything sounds better on vinyl! And I'd given up on believeing that there were any fans left."

   He worried that he was speaking too enthusiastically, until he saw her smile brightly in response and decided that he didn't care.

   "Well, here I am," she said, her eyes sparkling fiercly.

   Jordan was about to reply when he felt a tug on his shoulder, and turned to see Benjamin staring grumpily at him, withdrawing his hand back and crossing his arms across his chest in a pose of unashamed annoyance. "Dude, you said you were gonna take five minutes. I had to park down by the supermarket before I got a ticket."

   Jordan had the decency to look apologetic. "I'll literally be right out, I just have to-" He cut off, gesturing towards Maia and widening his eyes unsubtly at Benjamin.

   Benjamin turned to Maia, who was hiding a smirk, and then back at Jordan, finally piecing together the picture. "Oh, right, dude. I'll, um, just be out front. But hurry, we need to get to Matt's a few hours early to set up the gear." Her turned to the exit and walked out, but not before rolling his eyes in Jordan's direction first.

   Maia reached for her stack of records. "I better get going too. I've got to finish this ridiculously dull book report that's due on Monday."

   "Or," replied Jordan, deciding to take a leap of faith. "You could come to a party tonight. My friend Matt's throwing it, and it's gonna be a big one, so you won't feel like the odd- man out. Plus, there'll be heaps of free drinks."

   "Ooh, free drinks, how could I resist," replied Maia sarcastically, but she was smiling softly so that he knew she was joking. 

   "So is that a yes?" he asked, trying not to sound to eager and failing.

   Maia scrunched up her nose thoughtfully for a second, contemplating her answer. She liked this boy, who was beautiful and cute, but in a pleasantly subtle way. He had a trusting smile and eyes that spoke of a still youthful innocence. "Sure," she replied and, reaching into her pocket, dug out her phone and handed it to him. "Just put yourself in my contacts, I'll text you and then you can send me the address."

   "Awesome," said Jordan, no longer hiding his excitement.  He typed his name and number into her phone and handed it back for her. She glanced at the screen and grinned.

  "What is it?" he asked self- consciously.

   "You're last name's Kyle," she replied, "And I have a dog named Kyle. That's pretty cute."