i

The first thing Bruce feels is a pair of hands. Strong, massive hands that rub soothingly down his shoulders, rough with calluses but still somehow gentler than anything he can remember feeling. It's comforting, almost enough to lull him back into forgiving darkness. Almost.

He cracks an eye open to Thor staring back at him, eyebrows knit in concern. His face is close to Bruce's—incredibly close. Bruce registers that his entire body is trembling.

"Wha—" he starts, but cuts off when Thor's fingertips stray a little lower, brushing against his waist. He shivers, realizing he's completely naked except for a blanket. "Where are we?" Thor inclines his head to Bruce's left. As Bruce turns to look out the window Thor gestures to, he's suddenly and dreadfully aware of the hum of the ship beneath him. When he sees the stars hurtling past them, he pitches forward slightly.

"Banner? Banner, stay with me." Thor sounds rather alarmed.

"I'm gonna be sick," Bruce groans. Thor catches him soundly as he leans forward even more.

"No, you're not. Come here." Thor wraps his arms around him in earnest now, and Bruce lets him. His head hits Thor's shoulder, and he can feel muscles move slightly under his forehead as Thor's hand runs gently up and down his spine. Bruce closes his eyes as slivers of memory return to him.

"Asgard," he murmurs, not quite a question. Thor's hand stills. Bruce can't see his face, but he has no trouble imagining how Thor's eyes (eye) almost certainly lose their twinkle, if only for a moment.

"Gone," Thor breathes, barely a whisper. He sounds older, more ragged. Bruce considers tilting his mouth forward just enough to press a kiss to Thor's shoulder. He doesn't. "But the people. The people are alright. It's going to be alright," Thor says, like he's still trying to convince himself. His hand comes to the back of Bruce's head, almost protectively. "It just doesn't quite feel like it right now." His voice cracks, almost inaudibly, but Bruce is close enough to him that he catches it.

It hits him, now. Thor is terrified. And who wouldn't be? He has a people to lead, to keep safe, to protect from danger. His father is gone. He's king now.

There's a crack of thunder, somehow, deep in the vacuum of uncharted space. Bruce has long given up trying to use his scientific mind to analyze Thor and the Asgardians. Thor draws back abruptly as soon as it sounds, rearranging himself so that he isn't touching Bruce at all.

"Forgive me, Banner, I had...lost control." Bruce blinks at him, frowning slightly. Thor attempts a smile, but it's strained. "I'm sure you're tired. Let's get you to bed, eh?" As soon as he says it, the exhaustion hits Bruce like a rogue freight train. He can only nod. Thor scoops him into his arms easily, but he can't manage to feel embarrassed by it. Instead, he lets his head loll against Thor's chest as he carries him off to places unknown.