Chapter 1

April 5, 1813

A forceful wind blew across my rosy cheeks as I shifted my eyes upward, watching the sky fade from a clear blue to an uninviting grey. I hurried down the crowded streets of London to Madame Flora's dress shoppe where I spent my days sewing pieces of fabric together for small pay.

"Your late, again, Miss Eva." said the fat woman as she handed me thread, fabrics, needles, and her designs. "One of these days your going to find someone else sitting in your chair, doing your work."

"Yeah right." I mumbled as she limped away. I don't really care where I work as long as I get money. I need the money to get out of the damned orphanage I've lived in for all sixteen boring years of my life.

Money is everything in London, especially if your a woman, and without enough of it you end up in the slums. Your either filthy rich or downright poor, I thought to myself as I glanced at the clock hoping to leave this place soon.

Finally the clock struck three. I got so excited I pricked myself with the needle and I let out a cry just as Madame Flora walked in. She cackled at me when she saw my bleeding finger and hissed "There better not be any blood on my dress or you'll be in my debt."

I rolled my eyes and ran out the back door before she made me stay longer and I found myself standing in the rain. I shrugged and ran through the crowds of umbrellas until I reached my orphanage.

As I entered I was greeted by some of the little girls who looked at me giggling while scrunching up their noses in disgust. I stuck my tongue out at them.

They laughed louder while extending their fingers to my right and I peered through the door to see what they were pointing at. I met the furious gaze of our caretaker, Mrs. Helen, as she stood in her office.

Mrs. Helen was a thin woman with a pointed chin and a tall posture. Her hair was always neatly tied in a bun and her face was constantly cross.

My eyes flickered and I realized that she was not alone. A tall man in an expensive suit, no more than two years older than me, was standing next to her. She looked like an ant compared to him. I felt my cheeks burning as I looked at him and he was surely a sight to look at.

His dark eyebrows frowned as he turned and looked at me and I suddenly felt self conscious. I knew in an instant that I looked and smelled like a wet dog. I caught my reflection in the hallway mirror and turned pale with fear and embarrassment.

Raindrops from my hair fell onto the wooden floorboards, my eyelashes stuck together and thank god I hated wearing a lot of make up because then I would be equivalent to a circus clown. I then realized I somehow ripped my crimson dress while hurrying through the streets.

I fought back tears but I didn't know why I wanted to cry anyways. I never cared about what anyone thinks of me. I composed myself and directed my bright green eyes to my guardian.

"Good day Mrs. Helen! The weather's a bit foul though so I recommend an umbrella for your daily stroll." I said causing the girls to squeal in a fit of laughter. I headed to the bedchambers grinning. I dressed myself and I stared at my reflection watching my hair as it dried into natural honey blonde curls.

"You do know why he's here, right?" Asked one of the girls from before, I believe her name is Victoria. I don't pay much attention to the younger girls since they spend their time in the playroom and sleep in the nursery. "A marriage proposal!" She yelped when she realized I had no inclination to answer her question.

I felt a pang of annoyance and decided that I spent enough time dawdling. I paced up and down the corridor forming my rejection speech in my mind.

"I apologize for Miss Winter's behavior. I'm sorry to have burdened you by asking for you to even consider taking her hand in marriage. She is a handful and having her as a wife would probably lead to more disasters than either of us realize. She is not conformed to society. I tried my best raising her, I truly did, but she's always been a stubborn one. Making promises to herself and always wishing foolish things." I overheard Mrs. Helen attempting to come up with a decent excuse.

"I agree Mrs. Helen." I said with a nod. "I really have no understanding of what possibly goes on outside these walls, well aside from rain. I'm so pigheaded it is as though I am blind." Mrs. Helen looked at me trying to figure out what I was getting at. "I just am not ready for such a commitment. So, go flaunt you proposal elsewhere." I blushed, that last bit wasn't supposed to be aloud.

Mrs. Helen was clearly at a loss of words. However, the man was analyzing me with a frightening look. "Would you agree to dine with me?" His voice rang in my ears as I tried to decipher his tone. I wasn't sure whether he was sarcastic, curious, or simply amused. Clearly, I was at a loss of words as well.