A Body with a Thousand Faces

"We need to get drunk," Duke demands, cutting off the first casual talk me and Avery have had in

"We need to get drunk," Duke demands, cutting off the first casual talk me and Avery have had in... ever, when he drops his food tray to the table.

We were in an intriguing discussion about how much we hate our teachers, and how the state needs to follow Sweden's footsteps in categories now beyond the midsummer tradition and quality products (IKEA and Volvo) - they should start paying students for going to school. The education for sure ain't convincing enough, might as well be bribed with money. "Desperately. So, after talking to my beautiful, smart, girlfriend, we have planned a party at my ex-house with a hell and heaven theme, as we felt like it was time our pitiful asses got a small taste of heaven after all the time we've spent in hell by now."

"Bet," I respond, stabbing my fries. "When?"

"As soon as possible."

"Evie's birthday's next week, don't rush," Avery tells him, Duke's disappointed whining filling the moments leading up to AJ and Duke joining our table.

Right, Chloe remodeled her plans.

They're now long lost Western cousins, under Avery's wing rather than mine.

If I hadn't been there for it, I would've doubted whether the arguments of a few days ago actually happened or not. We didn't mention it after that, no one picked up the conversation from where Luke left it. It was almost like we collectively decided to pause it all without a word. We've just continued existing, forcing ourselves not to think about all the horrors filling the air around us, refusing to unravel the truths we don't have the courage nor energy to face. I didn't even feel like talking to Avery about it the same night. To ask him if he knew about everything, to have an outburst over the fact that he let things get as far as they did, and most of all, I didn't feel like being mad at him again. I couldn't. I can't.

"Even better! Next week will bless us with two heavens."

"Or you could wait."

Duke glares at him.

"Is this your attempt at getting me to respond with Yes daddy, or are you actively trying to ruin my life?"

Avery looks off into the distance, considering both options, his mind juggling them around.

"Great mix of both, I'd like to say."

Duke ends it with a short Hm.

"We can either go with eight barrels, make it a little untraditional, you know, or, we go traditional and a tad less memorable, and just order four hundred beer cans."

"Can I get a hundred in my name please?"

That means the sophomores have joined us, two fries falling out of their red basket when AJ carelessly drops the tray. "Me and my boy here have a challenge to complete."

"Hundred cans in a night?"

"With the right amount of hydration and urination, few things are not possible."