CHAP 1

Isla:

"I'm traveling from Oakland, California. I'll be there in a day or so. Is there anything I need to know about Robbins' cases?" The Chief of Surgery answers my question over the phone. It's not very often that I get requested. "Thank you, Chief Hunt. I'll be seeing you soon." He says goodbye and I hang up the phone.

......................................

After the plane ride to Seattle, I find my way to the hospital. I look for the car to take me to my hotel and I succeed. I'm staying in a hotel until I can find a house to live in. Ooh! And a car. That would come in handy. There's a small bar across the street from the hospital. Joe's is its name, and for sure drinking is its game. I heard that the former chief of surgery had to step down because of his alcoholism. That's a shame. Or maybe it was because of his wife, Adele. I don't if any of those are true but the idea behind all of it was that he was- is a great surgeon.

When my mother told me I'd make a great surgeon, my brother and I were molding Play-Doh into organs. I made a huge dough replica of the intestines, set it out to dry and then before I knew it was in my college dorm room. My roommate didn't think much of it, but one day she did comment on my "artistic hands" when I gave her a shoulder massage. She still didn't think I would make it to be a surgeon- let alone medical school. Well, look at me now, I'm at Seattle Grace- Mercy West hospital. I do all the things I need to do and catch a ride to the hospital.

When I get there, I'm greeted by Chief Hunt and a young woman. The ID says, Meredith Grey. The Meredith Grey, as in Ellis Grey. "Meredith- uh Dr. Grey, I'm a huge fan of yours."

    "Thank you, Dr. Hunt, should we show her inside?" Dr. Hunt nods. We walk inside and people are running all over the place.

    "Dr. Bane, we want to give you a heads up that some of the Attendings and your fellow Residents will not agree with change." Hunt leads us to the pediatric floor and I reply.

    "I understand. In Oakland, people don't agree on subjects even in the most desperate times." As we get off the elevator, a young man with beautiful blue eyes stops Grey and the Chief.

    "Chief?" His voice is like silk.

    "Yeah?"

    "I need some help on the burn unit, can you assign someone?"

    "Yes. As a matter of fact, you're now working with Dr. Bane, a transfer from Oakland effective immediately." The man gives a gracious smile and asks,

    "Thank you. Who's Dr. Bane?"

    "You're looking at her." I chime into the conversation.

    "Dr. Bane, a pleasure to meet you-" He gets cut off by Meredith Grey.

    "Avery, Dr. Bane is a fellow attending who is taking over for Arizona for the time being." Dr. Grey looks at this guy like he's a clueless child. He looks to me like a five-year-old on Christmas morning- totally elated, waiting for mom and dad to give the ok to tear open presents.

    "If you are working at Seattle Grace, you must be a great surgeon, we've been looking all over for someone."

    "Desperate, that's the word, desperate." Hunt chimes.

    "Okay, well, it looks like you're stuck with me."

    "We shall see, we shall see... What's your name?" I ask and his eyes light up.

    "Jackson Avery."

    "Ah... potential." Hunt and Grey chuckle as all three of them lead me to my cases at the front desk on our floor. Jackson walks beside me, asking where I lived before this. I answer with Oakland. He asks more miscellaneous questions and I realize that he's just trying to stall for the moment that I finally comment about him being an Avery. I won't. I think that he's heard it enough in his life. I thought I might just give him a break. He then asks me if I've ever been out of the state of California and I say no.