First Kiss

Modern AU

   I could have stayed home tonight and read my Rupi Kaur books as I enjoyed a bag of bite-sized cookies. I could have. But if I knew that if I went to some stupid high school party with my older brother and his girlfriend I would get my first kiss from the boy I have had a crush on since I was 8-years-old, I would have dropped everything and ran out the door myself.
     His arms were wrapped around my waist and my body was pressed full-flushed against his. He was so warm and I could feel how lean his chest was. I fit against him so perfectly, and he to me, it was like we were two pieces of a puzzle. I pressed my face further into his chest as if it were a pillow. He smelled like a midnight bonfire and my senses danced with desire from the aroma.
     The music playing behind us from a distance was sweet and fit the moment so perfectly. It felt like a romantic scene from a movie.
      "Katara..."
    I shifted my head up to look at his face. "Hm?" I hummed, high on the blissful euphoria of the moment. I could see his burning golden eyes looking down at me with softness and affection through the inky bangs of his hair. The combination of some beer and the feeling of joy I was experiencing made my insides tingle.  
    I felt his fingers caress the side of my face. I froze and my eyes never left his. The corners of my lips tugged and tugged until my mouth formed the littlest smile. His pale face leaned down towards mine, moving closer with each inch.
    Finally, his lips touched mine.
    Oh my God, that kiss. My first kiss. What a kiss it was!
   His lips were warmer and softer than I ever dreamed of them being and I could taste the traces of beer on them. Nevertheless, they tasted sweet and I became addicted to them.
   I wrapped my arms around his neck and I stood on my tiptoes to lean further into the kiss.
   Soon, too soon, we pulled apart. I smiled and he smiled. He looked nervous though, but his sparkling eyes never left mine.
    "Katara...."
   "Zuko....I like you...."
   I could see the surprise in his eyes. "I..you do?" he stammered. I could've sworn I saw a blush rising in his cheeks. I held back a giggle. I nodded, smiling wider at him.
    "I-I...how...whe-when? How long?"
    "6 years....since I was 8."
    His eyes widened a little. "The whole time?" he said. I blushed and shyly looked away.
   "I never bothered to act on it, 'cause I thought you just saw me as Sokka's little sister." I whispered, though loud enough for him to hear me.
     "Well I never did anything because you were Sokka's little sister and he would've kicked my ass."
    My head shot up to look at him again. Did that mean...?
    "Zuko...?"
   "Yeah, uh....I may or may not...have liked you since 5th grade....pretty much the whole time, too...."
     My heart almost exploded. He liked me! I smiled brightly and puckered my lips to touch his again. He was taken aback, but he responded and kissed me back.
     "Remember the first time I got to play with you and Sokka?" I brought up. He chuckled. I loved his laugh.
    "Yeah, yeah, we played pirates and I tied you to a tree."
   I snickered. "It was your idea."
    He narrowed his eyes at me mockingly. "I kind of panicked."
   I cocked an eyebrow. "Over what?" I asked him.
    "Because I didn't realize Sokka had a stupidly cute sister." he trailed off. I burst out laughing. "And you thought it would be a good idea to tie her up to a tree!?" I howled in tears, my sides nearly hurting.
    "I was 10, okay?" he defend himself. I buried my head into the crook of his neck, still laughing. I nuzzled into his skin and he nuzzled back. I felt his hand touch the back of my head, stroking my hair gently.
    "Y'know, friend or not, Sokka is still gonna kill me if he found out I kissed his sister." he said. "He doesn't have to know." I pointed out. "Katara, your brother may be oblivious, but when it comes to you, his baby sister, nothing gets past him." he added.
    I leaned my head back and gazed up at him. "I'm not a baby anymore, Zuko."
    He nodded. "Yeah, I've noticed." he said, chuckling softly.
   I kissed his cheek. "I just hope that means I get to kiss you more." I said. "Only if I get to kiss you back." he said.
    I smiled. "Of course, duh." I leaned in to kiss him again, this time on the lips.
   It was my first kiss, and it was everything I could have ever wanted and more.