I : Lemonade?

The only thing on my mind was clambering inside the elevator at my cramped apartment building and pressing the button to the third floor. I cannot wait to go home. My shift at the small bookstore downtown today felt exceptionally long. I glance at my watch; it was just turning 7. I readjust my bag on my shoulder and keep walking. The soles of my shoes smack the pavement, as thunder rolls in ahead. I pick up my pace a little, and as raindrops start splashing onto the sidewalk, I quickly walk towards a nearby cafe and tug on the door, hearing the bell chime to signify my arrival. I order a lemonade and sit down at a table near the window. The rain is coming down harder as I set my drink down, pull a book out of my bag, and begin to read.

              "When I stepped out into the bright sunlight from the darkness of the movie house, I had only two things on my mind: Paul Newman and a ride home. I was wishing I looked like Paul Newman — he looks tough and I don't — but I guess my own looks aren't so bad. I have light brown, almost red hair and-"   

            My solitude was interrupted by the chime of the door. A bright mop of red hair caught my eye- I've never seen hair so vibrant. The boy's eyes shifted towards my direction, and I quickly shot my eyes downward, in hopes he didn't catch my glances. I buried my nose back into my book and continued reading. 

           "-greenish-gray eyes. I wish they were more gray because I hate most guys that have green eyes, but I have to be content with what I have. My hair is longer than a lot of boys wear theirs, squared off in back and long-" 

           A quick cough in front of me snapped me out of my zoned out state. My eyes darted to meet the yellow ones looking back at me. Yellow eyes and red hair, a very new combination to me. His eyes shifted a little and I realized I had been staring. 

          "The Outsiders, huh?" The corners of his lips turned upwards as he spoke.

          "Oh, yeah, it's my favorite, how'd you know?" I closed the book and put it down in front of me, resting my hands on my drink to stop them from fidgeting. He chuckled slightly and motioned towards the chair across from me. "Oh, of course, sit!" I tucked a small tuft of hair behind my ear. He spins the chair around and sits on it, crossing his arms and placing them on top of the back of the chair. 

          "Well, first off, I could see the cover." He says, in almost a smug way, but I could tell he was joking. I felt a blush rise to my cheeks. I furrowed my brows and looked him in the eye.

          "So you've never read it?" I fold my arms and place them on the table. 

          "I never said that." He tilted his head and glanced at my drink. "Lemonade? It's so chilly outside."

          "So the weather dictates my choice of drink now?" I reply, taking hold of the straw in the drink and using it to swirl the semi-melted ice around in the glass. He smirked and seemed as if he was studying my face. I began to notice more of his other features; he wore a grey cross around his neck, which seemed to match the grey striped portions on his glasses. His eyes were piercing. 

          "Personally, lemonade gives me vibes. Not good, not bad, but vibes. My loyalty stays with Ph.D. Pepper." I shoot my head up.

          "You're pretty opinionated on lemonade for somebody that has eyes the color of it." The words spilled out. I felt heat rush to my face again. Why did I say that? I quickly recovered my calm composure and stared through his curious gaze. He chuckled and raised an eyebrow at me.

          "Lemonade eyes, huh? That's a new one." He smiled and fixed his eyes on mine. I laughed a little and looked down at my hands. I caught a glimpse of my watch.

          "Oh, shoot, I'm sorry, I really have to get going." I gathered my things quickly and stood up. I went to push in my chair before his hand landed on the back of the chair as well. My eyes met his before I glanced down again and brushed by him. I pushed the door open to exit the warm building and went on my way down the road again.

          I turned my key in the lock and leaned my weight into the door to push it open. I pulled my bag off my body and went to the bathroom to turn on the shower. I smiled at the thought of the new friend I had made. As I pulled the hair tie out of my hair and brushed through the knotted mess my waves had become, I came to a realization. I didn't even get his name, and I may never see him again.

~

hello! author here:) this is my first published fanfic/writing of any sort, so I hope I am doing it well haha. please leave any comments, suggestions, etc! i'd love to read them :) thank you and have a lovely day :)