When You Care

Dr. Fox sat in her chair, hunched over on the computer's desk in front of her. The lab was never this quite. Never. She was always running around looking for stuff or commanding her bots, not sitting at her computer screen doing nothing. But what was there to do? She had done everything she could. Everything she could think of.

    She was stuck.

    That was when she heard someone enter her lab. By instinct she assumed it was Unikitty again. She had already came down three times that day to try and cheer her up. A fourth time wasn't a stretch for her. But, as soon as the person's voice spoke up she recognized it as someone else's. “D-Doctor Fox,” Hawkodile stuttered, “I hope you don't mind me coming in..I wanted to check up on you.” She lifted her head out of the hand she rested it on and faintly smiled at him, “Nah I don't mind. I was getting bored to be honest… You wanna sit down?” She pressed a button on the computer and the floor opened to let a chair rise from underneath it. Once it reached a certain height the chair stopped, and the floor below closed around the poll holding it up. “There's one leeeeeft,” Dr. Fox teased, “Well I can bring up eight more, so there's actually nine left, but you know what I mean.”

    Hawkodile chuckled, “I think one is enough.” He walked over and sat down next to her, when doing so Dr. Fox noticed a large beverage in his hand.

    “I uhh, went and got you some tea from that caffe you like since you haven't really left the lab in awhile and I thought maybe you were thirsty and it's been awhile since you've had anything, ya know from the caffe so maybe having their tea would help you cheer up and,-” he realized he had rambled on a bit, “Uhh..here.” Dr. Fox chuckled as he handed her the warm tea, “Thanks, it really has been a long time since I've had this.” She took a small sip before leaning back into her chair.

    “So, what brings you down here?”

    “Well, I was..umm..I,” Hawkodile paused and took a deep breath, “I was worried about you. It's been two weeks since you've done anything scientific and you seem so miserable. You never leave the lab or eat anything. The only times you ever talk to anyone is when they come down and try talking to you first. To be honest I was..scared. Scared that you'd lose your inspiration for science and distance yourself from us, that if I tried talking to you I'd somehow make things worse for you..”

    She looked at him with a sorrowful and guilt ridden look in her eyes. Was she making him worry about her that much?

    “Aw Hawkodile, you shouldn't be so worried over me..”

    He blushed a bit, “I can't help it. It what happens when you care about someone…”

    Dr. Fox’s face turned slightly red as she looked down as her feet, “Yeah, I suppose that's true.”

    A small moment of silence passed until Hawkodile proposed an idea, “How about we walk around the kingdom for a while? Get some fresh air and whatnot. Maybe you'll get an idea for an experiment or robot.”

    “What if Unikitty or Richard needs us?”

    “It's Sunday, Unikitty is doing her best to do nothing and Richard is dealing with her along with Puppycorn. They won't need us for anything.”

    “Hm, you have a valid point there,” she stood up out of her chair and had a new glow to her eyes, “Lets go!”